3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Help! Coolant leak on 04 5.7L Hemi 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:47 PM
traillite8263
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak help

I have an 04 HEMI and was having the same problem. all i did was replace the spring type hose clamps with good quality screw type and the leak quit.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Gt001122

I have an 03 Ram 5.7 with 96500 miles on it and I just had to replace the radiator after it was leaking from the driverside tank, was separating. Yes it was $402 new but Outlaw Radiators have them for half, alittle late. Well now its leaking again, but get this, the shop was puzzled as I was. Check the next day if its leaking down the driverside into the backside of the powersteering pump and coming out of the weepy hole, its very small. Well the Thermostat housing looks clean until the next time you check it. Thats where mine is coming from. I found droplets under the bottom bolt of the housing where as before it was clean. There is no gasket required so I guess cast metal to Aluminum doesn't last long.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Go_Green
Rookie

Thanks for all the great advice and knowledge guys. I'm gonna get it to the dealership and have it fixed under the warranty. Whatever is leaking is so slight that I still feel safe driving it. I'll let them find it, because it doesn't seem to be doing it now that it's a little warmer out.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Go_Green
Rookie

Turned out to be the water pump. Internal seal was bad and it was leaking through the weep hole. I'm guessing that the extreme cold temp's made the seal shrink a bit. They replaced it under warranty...been great since.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool!!! I always like to see an old thread resurrected by the OP who has solved the problem...

Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM
tford

Originally Posted by Go_Green
Turned out to be the water pump. Internal seal was bad and it was leaking through the weep hole. I'm guessing that the extreme cold temp's made the seal shrink a bit. They replaced it under warranty...been great since.
I'll be taking my '04 in this week for the same thing. Noticed it as the temps dropped as you mentioned. Thanks for the update.

-t

Old 12-24-2010, 08:27 PM
wingnutks
Professional

I have a faint leak(I can smell it). Is the coolant system covered under the power train warranty?

Old 09-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Go_Green
Rookie

Update: I've had my truck in the shop for coolant leaks every year since I bought it in 2008 (usually Oct/Nov). Guess what...it's leaking again.

They have replaced the water pump twice and thermostat housing three times. This time, it's the thermostat housing...again. The truck has 55K on it. The only reason I take it to the shop is because it's been covered under warranty, but I can't help but think I wouldn't be having recurring problems if I fixed it myself.

It is my understanding that the thermostat housing doesn't have a gasket, but an O ring instead. Imo, there is no better sealant than good old fashioned Indian Head. Any chance I can remove the housing, slap some Indian Head on it and call it a day?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Go_Green
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I was thinking your waterpump? Did you check the underside of it and see if it's pissing anything out? When you say front crossmember are you talking about the frame that runs under the engine or the radiator support?
Under the engine.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Astro

Originally Posted by Gt001122
I have an 03 Ram 5.7 with 96500 miles on it and I just had to replace the radiator after it was leaking from the driverside tank, was separating. Yes it was $402 new but Outlaw Radiators have them for half, alittle late. Well now its leaking again, but get this, the shop was puzzled as I was. Check the next day if its leaking down the driverside into the backside of the powersteering pump and coming out of the weepy hole, its very small. Well the Thermostat housing looks clean until the next time you check it. Thats where mine is coming from. I found droplets under the bottom bolt of the housing where as before it was clean. There is no gasket required so I guess cast metal to Aluminum doesn't last long.
Did you ever find the fix? I’m having the same issue on my 2007 Dodge Ram 5.7

Quick Reply: Help! Coolant leak on 04 5.7L Hemi 4x4