3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Installing shocks????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 PM
ak_hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
just did bilsteins on all 4 corners couple weekends ago on my truck. dont pay someone to do it. its too easy to do on your own. i did all 4 shocks by myself in 45 min to an hour. and that includes having a couple too many beers in the process. all you need is a crescent wrench, basic socket set, and an extension.

on another note... the Bilsteins are AWESOME! night and day difference compared to the stock shocks. really smoothed out the ride on my 2500.
Did you need any extra hardware? Bolts? Nuts? Washers?

I got my rear Bilsteins yesterday and there isn't any hardware at all, just shocks.

Does anyone else know if these extras are needed? Or can the old hardware be reused?

thanks,
Ben

Old 06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just reuse the hardware that holds your stocks on.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

I would DIY just as mentioned above soak all the bolts down good with PB Blaster hours or even the night before you do it,otherwise an easy quick job can turn into a long PIA if you brake off a bolt,at 90,000 miles I'm sure you have a little rust on them. Biggest help-Air tools!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM
ak_hemi
Amateur

Thanks for the info! I also confirmed with my local Dodge dealer to reuse the hardware. Also I'm considering paying them $88 to do the fronts!

From what I can gather the rears are much easier. What do you think? Is it worth it to pay them $88 to do the fronts?

thanks,
Ben

Old 06-24-2009, 06:06 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that bought aftermarket shocks...specifically those that cranked the T-bars, what size and model number did you get? I'm hoping to do this in the next month so just looking for a little info. With the fronts, cranking the T-bars to level, I'm not sure what shocks to get as most are associated with 3" or 6" lift...but not level or 2".

Old 06-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Scarriere

Don't forget to apply anti-seize to the bolts before re-installing them. That can be a nightmare on your next shock replacement.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
gregotex55

Hey JoeHemi. I'm at that point too, have the 04 4x4 with the torsion special, and I need to replace my overextended shocks with 115K miles on them. I am torn between the stock replacement that's 2" too short or the longer which may be 2" too long. I've had a guy at a shock place that suggested stock Bilsteins and another from Truxxx that would go with the longer shock.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bilstiens from a 2500 are 2" longer than oems for the 1500. in my opinion, that would be your best bet. i have a 2500 with a 2.5" level with bilstiens, and i dont even top out unless going over something CRAZY going way too fast

Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
gregotex55
Default Nuts on the bolts

Just curious when I replaced by front shocks, the bolt just screwed into the threaded hole on the control arm. One of the bolts after installing the new shock (Bilstein be5-6140-t5) seemed to come loose after a few days. Was wondering if there was supposed to be a nut that I probably lost. I am considering using some threadlocker and/or adding sleeves to the bushings, and maybe the eye won't wiggle the bolt loose.

The shocks only came with the bushings....Maybe I should have purchased the extra bushings and sleeves? I know some guys here just used what came with the shock...if you happen to be one...are your bolts remaining tightened?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

you might not have torqued them down right. find the torque spec, those are big bolts. a little loctite green wouldn't hurt I don't think. They never see any loading that will pull them out, so won't take much to hold them in

Quick Reply: Installing shocks????????