3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Intermittent Wipers Not Working!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM
bulldodgemoe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start here instead of another thread.
also have the low and high work only. i took the motor apart and looked good "i guess"
i did a vdc check and found when i have the low and high on i had 12vdc at the plug, but when in intermittent mode i had non, no vdc. could it be the pulse intermittent control as rangemare found or maybe the relays?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 PM
bulldodgemoe
Professional

Thought I would tell you what it was. It was the buzzer the annoying buzzer that let's you kbow the door is open. Key in ignition etc. I think it maybe called the central timing thingy.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM
kgibbs420bossman
Default wipers

Originally Posted by Tonyo88
I have the exact same problem, changed out the switch and it didn't fix it. I checked with Dodge to see how much a new wiper motor costs, they told me around $250.00. So I think I'll just deal with it until someone finds a cheap solution.
Check the thing under the dash that makes the chime when you turn the key on or when u get low on fuel thats what made my intermitent wipers quit working i changed that and they work beuatiful

Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 PM
slovo

Originally Posted by bulldodgemoe
start here instead of another thread.
also have the low and high work only. i took the motor apart and looked good "i guess"
i did a vdc check and found when i have the low and high on i had 12vdc at the plug, but when in intermittent mode i had non, no vdc. could it be the pulse intermittent control as rangemare found or maybe the relays?
This thread was discussing the issue on the ram, the dakota issue is a different system.

3rd gen rams have a Front Control Module (FCM) that controls the intermittent control of the wipers, among other things. its located under the fuse box in the engine compartment. Reading other threads its almost never the issue.

I have the same voltages as you do, there are 4 wires on the 3rd gen rams. Brown/Grey stripe is the park switch, Brown/White stripe is the low relay, Brown/Orange stripe is high relay, Black/White stripe is ground.

A click from the relays should be heard when turning wiper switch to intermittent from the on/off #55 relay. Click from the low, and another one from high, both from the #60 relay. But then again just because they click does not mean everything is proper.

Google the testing procedure for the reley in questing and you will see what I mean. Mine are 8 ohms out of tolerance. Suppose to be 75ohms +/- 8ohms. I got 89ohms. Might be part of the problem.

I Checked resistance of ground to battery terminal, 7 ohms, thats ok.
When wipers were set to high i got voltage on Brown/Orange wire.
When wipers were set to low i got voltage on Brown/White wire.
Intermittent I got nothing on either of those.

I am going to follow this diy fix and see what happens.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...r-diy-fix.html

Across multiple threads, its sounding like the issue is in the motor quite often. LOL my parts guy was right to offer me up a motor when I was thinking relays and wanting to take apart my switch.

Last edited by slovo; 07-26-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Edward Closson
Default Try this first and save yourself some heartache

Thanks for all the info, after replacing the switch the wiper worked for a second, after replacing the wiper motor it worked initially then reverted back to its old ways of not working, and finally when I replaced both relays in the fuse box and let then engine charge the box a minute the wipers finally, after years of not working correctly, had the intermittent feature. In short, if your motor works, the switch works, start with the relays. From AutoZone it cost about $25 for both relays. Then to the wiper motor if the relays don't work at about $50. Then try the switch which is the last ditch effort.

To the members of this forum thank you for your assist, a happy ram truck owner.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:57 AM
michael beez
Default wiper delay fix

HA!
just went through this issue about a month ago.
After reading through some of these forums i decided to tackle. someone suggested to take the motor apart and basicly clean the darn thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, the issue is most likely not going to be the switch or relays or fuses . open the wiper motor. If you look at the contacts inside you will notice that they are probably worn down. Get yourself a pair of needle-nose pliers Bend those contacts very carefully with a slight pressure, you probably don't want to break them. Grease the contacts and other surface area, installation is opposite of removal... VOILA !!!!!!

Old 12-31-2019, 11:54 AM
Frankie G

I have a intermittent wiper module under the dash and I believe it's only for the intermittent wipers and not for hi and low which my truck has anyone else run across this ??

Last edited by Frankie G; 12-31-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie G
I have a intermittent wiper module under the dash and I believe it's only for the intermittent wipers and not for hi and low which my truck has anyone else run across this ??
What are you driving?

Old 02-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Bill Lathum
Default I'm about ready to give up. 2005 Dodge ram 1500

Hello all, been reading everyone's posts and this issue is kicking my butt. I put the wipers on slow intermittent and nothing... Turn them on low and then turn them off quickly and wipers stop in the middle of the windshield. Or, I put them on slow intermittent and the wipers just go like they are on low! Or... They will wipe on low intermittent about 4 or 5 times then stop... Heck I turned the corner the other day with my wiper switch OFF and they turned on for like two swipes!!! I have replaced the motor, switch on the steering column and one relay. I am out of stuff to replace and frankly sick of throwing money at it and it not working. Anybody help??? Please

Quick Reply: Intermittent Wipers Not Working!!