3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06' Hemi has no fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

111,000 on my 04, still original one. Just checked and I don't have a filter neither. Have to replace the $400 pump if I wanna switch out.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
bobczyk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

My 00 Intrepid's filter is also part of the fuel pump and in the gas tank. I got 135,000 on it and never changed it.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 01 F150 was on the frame under the drivers seat.
Unless someone pours something in your tank these days, there isn't much that can get in there.
Never fuel up while a station is getting it's tanks filled is one way to avoid any sediment, but gas pumps are filtered as well so this may be a myth too.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody seen a thread where a truck stopped running because of a blocked fuel filter on a 3rd gen?

When I see that thread I'll start worrying.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
NV290
All Star
Angry

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Ford and Gm do the same thing, we can go back to carbs and inline flue filters, Flue injection needs pressure, the best way to do this is right at the flue tank.

Less chance of outside nastys getting into the flue system and I would wager this has something to do with emissons and the computer running the go game.

My 06 is my first dodge truck, I'm sticking to the Dodge game plan !!!
All vehicles have screens (or "socks") in the fuel tank to catch the larger particles and keep them out of the pumps, but then there would always be another filter that filtered down to a few microns to keep anything out of the injectors. Every GM and Ford i have owned had one either under the vehicle inside the frame or in the engine compartment. Like i said, this is the first vehilce i have come across in 3+ years driving as well as working on cars that did not have a fuel filter.

I don't care what Dodge says, not having a fuel filter that is easily accessed and replaced is STUPID. Show me some sort of data that claims not having one helps things? It's really no surprise anymore that the American car industry is in the toilet. I just picked up my 06' from the dealer tonight after it had the tie rod ends replaced under warranty. 35,000 miles on a 1500 that has never been taken off road or plowed needing front end work is sad to say the least. My buddy has an 05' Turbo Diesel and he has to date spent $3,200 on fron end work.

Check out my other thread about my keyless remotes. I was told by my dealer that it's "Normal" that they only work half the time.

This is the final straw for me and Chrysler.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by NV290
This is the final straw for me and Chrysler.
A little melodramatic aren't we! Well I don't like the fact that if I want to go 160MPH I have to buy a sports car! WTF Chrysler....

Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 PM
JR 06
Professional

Like it has been said. When there is a thread about driveability issues due to a stopped up fuel filter I will worry about it. Until then it seems like chrysler knows what they're doing.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 AM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

first signs will be knocking when you punch it...fuel starvation

hard starting..may take a couple turns of the key to get enough primer pressure to build up first

Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by JR 06
Like it has been said. When there is a thread about driveability issues due to a stopped up fuel filter I will worry about it. Until then it seems like chrysler knows what they're doing.
There is a FRACTION of the actual Ram owners posting on these forums. To use this forum, or even a few of the other forums as a basis for what could and does go wrong is silly. I am not going to sit around and wait and hope that every Ram owner will come on here and post every little issue they have so we can be forewarned. I towed cars for 4 years. MANY of the vehicles i towed had fuel system issues which could be traced to plugged fuel filters. I had a 98' Trans Am that had issues with the fuel system. Using a fuel pressure gauge, the issue was found to be a fuel filter almost plugged. All in all, a $24.00 repair and 10 minutes on a lift. Not going to be the same outcome with an in tank filter.

Ever drop a fuel tank in a Ram? I have. Myself and a buddy installed an Espar heater in an 04' Cummins 2500 and needed to run a dedicated fuel line from the tank. Not fun at all. Even with a lift and a trans jack. And i did it again just a few years back when a friends CTD Ram was inadvertantly filled with gasoline!. 31 GALLONS WORTH!. We had to find a container big enough to hold in all, 34 gallons of contaminated fuel. Not easy. We ended up using a garbage car to hold what we could get out via siphon. Then we had to drop the tank to get the rest out.

I alsready made a phone call this morning to an engine guru and told him of the issue. He is going to get the parts manual and devise an inline fuel filter that is easily replaced under the truck and put a simple grit screen in the tank. This person is the same guy who designed the bypass lift pump for the Turbo Diesel. Ill post info on it later when i find out what the plan is.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Hoss356
Captain

NV290, your dedication to solving this heinous problem plaguing our beloved trucks is nothing short of meritorious! I think we would all personally be lost in this fight without your forward thinking. May I be the first to say "Thank you" in advance!

Quick Reply: 06' Hemi has no fuel filter?