3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how much boost can the hemi handle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM
FrostKing
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bulletperformance
your going to blow seals and gaskets out the wazoo it can only take 2psi on stock gaskets and the internals will get annihilated with that much boost plus you will have to get different injectors and different coil system it is going to be alot more then just slapping a charger on..
Ignore everything he just said, obviously has ZERO experience in these matters.

With proper tuning, a stock 5.7 / 6.1 will handle around 450hp at the crank or 7-8 lbs of boost. Without methanol injection, I would not recommend over 5 psi. The first problem to come up will be the cast pistons in these engine that start to break with detonation or power higher than 450hp. Tuning is the most important part! Diablo and SCT can both handle the custom tune that will be required to manage the boost and larger fuel injectors.

Engine seals are not a problem. I have had 14 lbs through the stock truck plastic manifold with no problems.

Second problem is the transmission will certainly take a dump and will need attention to keep it alive. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 AM
TANKZ400
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.. and whats wrong with my signature

Kidding me right how about
When most people 1. Get Stuck 2. Lose Control 3. Crash They Say Hold On. Iowa Dodge Owners Say, Hold My Beer Watch This Sh*t.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:41 PM
BlacknRed06
Rookie

ya, my rear is already built, got 4:56's in it, I have a 2800 stall torque converter sitting in my shop n shortly will have a sheradan stage 3 tranny on the way... imma blow my stock one up first before i put that stage 3 in tho... gotta have alil fun with it see how much it can take lol

Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacknRed06
ya, my rear is already built, got 4:56's in it, I have a 2800 stall torque converter sitting in my shop n shortly will have a sheradan stage 3 tranny on the way... imma blow my stock one up first before i put that stage 3 in tho... gotta have alil fun with it see how much it can take lol
I am by no means an expert, but we seem to be on the same page, I think if you have the other things I mention in place, you'll be fine! I know a couple of actual performance shop guru's on a more technical Mopar site I'm on, one geared more toward the performance shop, high end builds crowd. I'll mention it there and see if they come up with anything more or different than what I say...

Old 02-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Marcus Ross

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
procharger sells a whole 'turnkey' system, they even include tuning in their package. put it in, turn the key, go. if procharger says it's alright, i'd take their word for it.
The block can't handle more than 5psi. Now there turnkey build will cause they forge the bottom end but in the car stock block its not forge so it can't hold alot of boost.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus Ross
The block can't handle more than 5psi. Now there turnkey build will cause they forge the bottom end but in the car stock block its not forge so it can't hold alot of boost.
No blocks are forged, they are all cast. Cranks/rods/etc may or may not be forged. Even a stock motor should be able to take 7PSI of boost without trouble. (with proper tuning/supporting mods.)

Old 08-15-2019, 02:28 AM
Brent Miller
Default I have an 05 hemi 1500 I could use some help

Originally Posted by FrostKing
Ignore everything he just said, obviously has ZERO experience in these matters.

With proper tuning, a stock 5.7 / 6.1 will handle around 450hp at the crank or 7-8 lbs of boost. Without methanol injection, I would not recommend over 5 psi. The first problem to come up will be the cast pistons in these engine that start to break with detonation or power higher than 450hp. Tuning is the most important part! Diablo and SCT can both handle the custom tune that will be required to manage the boost and larger fuel injectors.

Engine seals are not a problem. I have had 14 lbs through the stock truck plastic manifold with no problems.

Second problem is the transmission will certainly take a dump and will need attention to keep it alive. Good luck!

I'm chomping at the bit to boost my truck stock 05 hemi and it's my daily and by no means have alot of money but could scrounge around and get a small turbo but if it will cause serious issues would a good tuner/programmer be my safest increase In power, it has a cold air and custom exhaust small lift on 35s and honestly it runs amazing so it really worries me to do it i dont really have anyone to ask to get a straight answer thank you for your time

Old 08-15-2019, 05:52 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Generally the compression ratio is dropped for supercharged engines to compensate for the forced air induction. There used to be bolt on kits for these 3rd gen trucks, but these trucks are getting old and that aftermarket is usually more focused much newer vehicles. I would contact a vendor and see what they offer. But I wouldn't bother with it, you'll probably spend thousands on that and never recoup it at resale.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 215 Likes on 195 Posts

Holy zombie thread lol

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Generally the compression ratio is dropped for supercharged engines to compensate for the forced air induction. There used to be bolt on kits for these 3rd gen trucks, but these trucks are getting old and that aftermarket is usually more focused much newer vehicles. I would contact a vendor and see what they offer. But I wouldn't bother with it, you'll probably spend thousands on that and never recoup it at resale.
Yeah not so much:
https://www.procharger.com/gallery/77/2005-dodge-ram-0
https://www.andysautosport.com/produ...RAM57ST-T.html
That's just for starters

Old 08-17-2019, 06:01 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Let me qualify... when companies design an engine with a super charger, the compression is generally less than normally aspirated. These kits are engineered as bolt ons, so they don't intend for people to change out pistons.

Quick Reply: how much boost can the hemi handle?