3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 Ram 2500 - Delayed Crank or Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM
firepolice24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 05 Ram 2500 - Delayed Crank or Won't Start

I have a chronic but intermittant problem with starting my 2005 Ram 2500 pickup since I purchased it used with 27K miles on it. The symptoms are that sometimes when I turn the key to start it, there is a delay of about two seconds then the engine will start up. At other times, the engine will start to crank immediately, fire up for about one second, die immediately, then the ETC trouble light comes on. This will repeat every time I turn the key to start unless I turn the key completely off. After that, it will usually start up normally with no further problem until the next time it decides to get tempermental. I have replaced the ETC unit, the computer, and the start relay under the hood in the fuse box, all to no avail. I have paid good money to the dealership for these attempted repairs, but all they do now is shrug their shoulders in that "I have no idea" kind of way. For whatever reason, I have an idea that it may be related to the pending failure of the WCM/SKREEM module. However, I have never had to do the battery cable removal reset thing. I can't afford to arbitrarily replace everything under the hood, so I am hoping someone here might have THE answer.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK,

First off, get the TROUBLE CODES---very important

You can get these by cycling the ign key 3 times to the on position within 10 seconds I think, leaving the key "on" on the third cycle---the code or codes will read out on the odometer.

If you happen to have a scanner, use that, or you can also get it scanned for free at Autozone. Just write them down, and don't let them clear them, until its fixed.

Is this a gas or diesel engine???

Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

I was looking through the FSM for the WCM/SKREEM and really doubt that is it, as you would be completely locked out and wouldn't able to start it at all. The ETC refers to the Electronic Throttle Control----as in throttle by wire----which could mean the TB or the sensor attached to the gas pedal, or something along those lines.

Get the codes!!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM
firepolice24
Exclamation RE: 05 Ram 2500 Intermittant Start Issue

I attempted to recover the codes with the ignition key method and all that was displayed in the odometer field was the word "done". I presume then that there are no active codes. (Autozone cannot recover codes unless they are active and showing a trouble light.) Historically, there have been no codes unless the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) goes into fault. The dealer ship has since cleared those codes and it hasn't had that symptom for a couple of weeks now. Still, there is no doubt that it will happen again. It is just a matter of time. The entire fly-by-wire gas pedal assembly has already been replaced with no effect on the problem.

The engine is the 5.7 gas fueled Hemi (Haulin' a$$ and $uckin' ga$!).

Last edited by firepolice24; 09-17-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Me thinks I need a new keyboard with bigger buttons.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:26 AM
traker1001
Captain

When you say it dies, Do you mean no crank at all? Do you have a chip in your key? Sounds like a security system issue or a charging system issue possibly both. I would start by testing your battery voltage, Alt supply, Ground points for high resistance, cranking amps and making sure all that is to spec. Another thought, is if you can get your hands on a nice scanner and actually watch all the sensors as your attempting to start it, That would help alot.

Last edited by traker1001; 09-18-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 PM
firepolice24
Exclamation RE: Delayed or no start

There are no issues with the battery or the charging system. The voltage is right up to snuff.

When the delayed start occurs, I can turn the key and hold it for about two seconds, then it fires right up.

When it will not start, or should I say run, I can turn the key, the engine will crank as usual, then it starts, but it will only run for about one second then it stops and the ETC warning light comes on. This will happen as many times as I turn the key to start again UNLESS I turn the key to the off position before trying it again. In almost all cases, it will then crank and run as it is supposed to. Once, and this was after the entire fly-by-wire gas pedal assembly was replaced, the ETC light stayed on after the crank but no run occurred the entire time I drove. On the next restart, the ETC light was off.

I do (did?) suspect the WCM/SKREEM because there is a chip in the keys and whch key I used makes no difference. What I suspect is that the WCM/SKREEM is not locking up requiring the battery cable reset. Rather, it is in the process of failing altogether or possibility that the wiring harness/connectors have a peoblem. If I knew WHERE the darn thing was, I could ring it out and hopefully eliminate the possibility of it being a wiring issue.

Last edited by firepolice24; 09-18-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Left a few words out :-0
Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 AM
firepolice24

Does anyone know where the SKREEM/WCM module is located??

Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 PM
nh5
Veteran

do you get the flashing red light in the instrument cluster when the car shuts off? is there any aftermarket alarm. I know on my truck is used to do things like this occasionally.

Also check your grounds, block grounds, etc.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

i had this problem, changed the battery and it was fixed, just because you have 12-14v doesn't mean your battery is good, you must have it load tested by a professional

Old 09-26-2010, 05:46 PM
That1guy
Veteran

I'm thinking fuel pressure. When you turn the key the pump will kick on for a second to build pressure. If the check valve isnt holding pressure then it will have a hard start. Thats probably why it starts fine the second time the key turns. It allows to pump to cycle twice building enough pressure to fire.

Try this for a few days always turn the key to run. Wait a sec. Turn it off. Then back to run. Wait a sec and then start it and see if it does okay. Also let it run for a minute and shut it off then try to restart it back again and see if starts fine. If it starts fine then it may be because the pressure isnt bleeding off yet.

This is my guess. It happens on jeeps a lot. Pretty common. So try it and report back.

Quick Reply: 05 Ram 2500 - Delayed Crank or Won't Start