3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Limited Slip differential?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 hemi ram
unless your job is to work on rear diffs for a living, then open is never better than LSD!!! EVER.
+1 Confucius say :One legger leave you stranded!!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:11 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, one leg is not better than two. if you slide then, then let some air out of your tires. otherwise the more the merrier. as far as wheels go.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 hemi ram
no, one leg is not better than two. if you slide then, then let some air out of your tires. otherwise the more the merrier. as far as wheels go.

You guys have no idea what i am trying to explain nor understand! It's a Proven concept that any LSD or locker does worse in bad weather! WTF. Not to mention I have owned both and driven both. And no it's not my foot that has a problem. Going around turns say on an entrance ramp, you have to hit the gas to get moving. Instead of one wheel spinnin in the snow and you maintaining control...If you have LSD or a locker both wheels spin and you can lose control. Got it!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:26 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional

look, if you have one tire gabbing in the rear or two and then one or two in the front then the more the merrier. sure one track will keep you/ from sliding but the more traction you have the better you are getting stuck. the more wheels moving the better you are gettin home.. never is an open diff better than a LSD or locker than an open i dont care what you think.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 AM
lharrell79
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You guys have no idea what i am trying to explain nor understand! It's a Proven concept that any LSD or locker does worse in bad weather! WTF. Not to mention I have owned both and driven both. And no it's not my foot that has a problem. Going around turns say on an entrance ramp, you have to hit the gas to get moving. Instead of one wheel spinnin in the snow and you maintaining control...If you have LSD or a locker both wheels spin and you can lose control. Got it!
I understand you completely Dog. It's hard to explain it unless you've experienced it first hand.

In lamens terms, when driving on slick roads, and turning, if both tires in the rear are turning at the same speed, you're screwed. The rear end will come sliding around like somebody has a tow strap hooked up to you and is pulling your rear sideways. Think of it as unintentional drifting. You don't even have to try, and your rear end comes drifting around the corner.

Lucas

Old 01-24-2009, 10:11 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lharrell79
I understand you completely Dog. It's hard to explain it unless you've experienced it first hand.

In lamens terms, when driving on slick roads, and turning, if both tires in the rear are turning at the same speed, you're screwed. The rear end will come sliding around like somebody has a tow strap hooked up to you and is pulling your rear sideways. Think of it as unintentional drifting. You don't even have to try, and your rear end comes drifting around the corner.

Lucas
exactly! hence the invention of the Limited Slip Differential! It don't kick in until you've started to lose control.
Lockers in daily drivers = Bad, LSD = Good!

I really can't think of any situation where anyone could convince me I'd want an open differential over a good quality LSD. And I've driven all over, both on and off-pavement from the mountains of central N.Y. to the swamps of Florida...

Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zoom2811
How can i tell if my truck has a limited slip differential.The sticker in my glove box just says that i have 3.92 gears and nothing else.And what are the advantages of having a LSD?(Sorry,I'm a noob)
If it doesn't mention "anti-spin..." it likely doesn't have LSD. However, a safer test is to put one rear wheel on something slippery (wet grass, sand, etc.) and goose it. If it moves out, you have LSD. If not, it's a peg-leg.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 AM
yhike
Professional

LSD does not kick in until the wheel starts to spin. Are you guys confusing it with a fully lock locker? Hands down I will take LSD over open in any weather in the rear.

Now in my Jeep I love being fully locked but i use it very differently and would not recommend it bad weather on highway.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 AM
SuperCar1of1
Rookie

Detroit Tru-Trac=best of both worlds.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:51 PM
dixiejwo

Guys, dirtydog's got it right. I think everyone agrees that they'd take the LSD when stuck in deep snow. The more wheels spinning, the more likely something will grip.

At speed it's another story though. A spinning tire by definition it has *no* traction. It has no resistance to being moved forward, back, or sideways because it isn't gripping the surface. If only one rear tire starts spinning on water or ice then the truck will keep tracking straight because the other tire has traction and can resist any sideways force. But if both rear tires start spinning then the rear end will come around as soon as something imparts a sideways force on the back of the truck. Like lharrell said it usually happens when the front wheels are gripping (they're weighted) so they start a turn and the rear end snaps right around.

Don't get me wrong, my truck has the LSD because I don't want to be stuck plowing. But a truck with an open diff is less likely to spin around on an unsuspecting driver.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip differential?