3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Limited Slip differential?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:04 PM
zoom2811
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Limited Slip differential?

How can i tell if my truck has a limited slip differential.The sticker in my glove box just says that i have 3.92 gears and nothing else.And what are the advantages of having a LSD?(Sorry,I'm a noob)

Old 01-23-2009, 05:07 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

LSD =Boom

Seriously, they break notoriously.
Better traction 2 wheel grip vs one wheel peel.
Open diff(one wheel peel) is actually better in the snow. You don't slide sideways as the LSD tends to do

I'm in the midst of getting a Detroit carrier in my diff and replacing my stock LSD

Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 PM
lharrell79
Rookie
Cool

If you want to know if you have one:

1. Back your truck out into the street.
2. Press on the brakes.
3. Now press on the gas.
4. Once the rear tires start smoking real good, let off the brake.
5. Go back and observe the tire marks.

1 skid mark most likely means you have no LSD. 2 skid marks most likely means you have an LSD.

Or you could read the tag on your rear diff, and post what it says in this thread. We could probably tell from that.

Lucas

Old 01-23-2009, 07:02 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

I forgot to mention, like DirtyDog said, if you here a loud BOOM while performing the test above; then it's pretty safe to say you used to have an LSD.

Lucas

Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
06CountryBoy5.7
Professional

I have to disagree. I have two Rams, one LSD and on open. The LSD feels so much better off road, on wet pavement, and snow. I dont know how you can say open is better for snow as you will not slide sideways. lol LSD only kick in when you start sliding sideways or are losing grip to one tire. IF you dont believe me argue your point to the guys at offroad international or torsion. Limited slip is second best option for traction and sliding only to lockers.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 PM
lharrell79
Rookie

Originally Posted by 06CountryBoy5.7
I have to disagree. I have two Rams, one LSD and on open. The LSD feels so much better off road, on wet pavement, and snow. I dont know how you can say open is better for snow as you will not slide sideways. lol LSD only kick in when you start sliding sideways or are losing grip to one tire. IF you dont believe me argue your point to the guys at offroad international or torsion. Limited slip is second best option for traction and sliding only to lockers.
Actually LSD's are better than lockers in sliding situations. I can't even begin to count how many times I used to end up sideways in the middle of an intersection when it was wet outside. This was caused strictly by the rear locker. The LSD is much more forgiving on wet and snowy streets.

Lucas

Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

Anti spin is just clutch plates crammed behind the spider gears in the rear end...a s sucks when slippery or snow.. The only time the cluches break free is on hard pavement, and even then its jerky

Old 01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
06CountryBoy5.7
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeorgethit
Anti spin is just clutch plates crammed behind the spider gears in the rear end...a s sucks when slippery or snow.. The only time the cluches break free is on hard pavement, and even then its jerky
my lsd kicks in on mud too. and i messed up my original post lockers are not good for sliding lol they are death in ice

Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

unless your job is to work on rear diffs for a living, then open is never better than LSD!!! EVER.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 hemi ram
unless your job is to work on rear diffs for a living, then open is never better than LSD!!! EVER.

As stated before, open diff are better in the snow for the simple reason that the truck will run in a straight line instead of sliding sideways. if you think that both wheels don't spin when the gas is punched and on a slick surface then your sadly mistaken.
If you take 2 of the identical trucks, one has an open carrier and one has an LSD. Put them in 4wd and drive down the road. The open carrier will allow the truck to turn better and track straighter! Guaranteed! I'm not saying it will get better traction, obvioxuly one wheel vs 2 is a no brainer, but for safety reasons, an open carrier is always better in inclimate weather!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limited Slip differential?