3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

'08 Ram 5.7 Hemi vs '08 Ram 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 PM
sos
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, and if the truck doesn't have the tow mirrors, you can throw that into the negotiation. I love mine - it was a major feature when I was looking, and I wouldn't have bought the truck without them. A lot of people around here have changed their smaller mirrors out for them.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
RamMark

Okay, what would be a reasonable price to offer on the '08 5.7L Hemi? Naturally I want to buy it as cheap as I can, but I want to be able to make an offer on a "take it or leave it" basis and see what they'll do.

The price they offered me, $25,300, was including a customer loyalty rebate, and an additional rebate if I let them finance it (they actually were willing to lower the price if I would finance with them rather than pay cash).

All this was "sales talk", and I understand that. I just don't know enough about realistic pricing on these trucks. I have a buddy who bought a '08 w/ the 4.7L back several months ago and he loves it. He said he's getting 19-20mpg on the road (he drives a lot of highway miles) and has no trouble pulling his camper. He paid $24k-something for his back several months ago.

I am very appreciative of you all taking my questions and helping out with information.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Finance with them is 1K more off, no secret. I think it also applies if you get a loan with a local credit union.

If the truck stickers for 35K I would start at 20K.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

SOS is right. However...

As far as getting screwed on an '08 I doubt it. They are prob. giving you the lowest possible price just to get it off their lot. They are payng interest on that truck so they want it sold ASAP. Now if you have a trade, things are a bit trickier.

I would sit down with them and see what the invoice of the truck is. Make them go $500 below invoice AND give you the accessories for free. Then shake their hands and say for that price we have a deal. Better yet, if you pull out a $50 bill and lay it on the table and say for the price I request, I am ready to make this deal. Works every time and shows your not "shopping" around and wasting their time. If you know how to play their game, they get causght up in excitment and then they just wanna make a deal regardless of the means.
Trust me when I say they enjoy gettin dirty. Thus my name..lol It was my nickname in the business...hehehe

There's about $2800 in hidden cash behind the invoice. $1k which they said they would give, $500 which you are asking and the rest is in the accessories you demand.

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-23-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 PM
sos
All Star

I might shoot for somewhere between $23k and $24k. As for the financing, I'd be hesitant about that. They offer you a "discount" because they are making money off the financing. Make sure you are getting a decent rate from them, and read the terms carefully. See who will be servicing the loan - many times they sell the loan to someone else, causing you to have to keep up to date on where to send your payments. Not always a big deal, but it can be annoying. Check out your bank and local credit unions to see if you can get a better rate - then walk into the dealer saying "I will pay you $xx cash right now for that truck."

Also, many times in order to get a lower rate, they make you give up a rebate. For instance when I bought mine, I could get 0% interest, but I had to give up a $2500 rebate. So despite what they say, you might get a better deal with outside financing.

Last edited by sos; 01-23-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 PM
RamMark

Both my bank and my insurance company (thru their bank) have approved financing for me on a truck. So I told the sales guy I would consider their financing if they could match or beat what I can get there.

I do not have a vehicle that I am going to trade, so that isn't a factor.

I told the sales guy (I've dealt with him recently on another deal - bought a used truck for my son) that I was gonna give him a shot and then shop his price around. The sticker on the 4.7L truck was $38,195 and $40k+ on the 5.7L Hemi (that included $1,200 in add-ons). As I said before, he priced both trucks for $25,300. I mistakenly said $23,500 and he just laughed and said there was no way they'd go that low. But based on what you guys are telling me here, I'm beginning to doubt that is completely true (at least I'm hoping).

So if I ask to see the invoice they will show it to me? If so, is the invoice I'll see accurate or is it padded?

One more thing about the 4.7L truck... it is a Flex Fuel setup. I understand that means it will burn gasoline or ethanol, but does that change the performance or reliability any?

By the way, my son's '07 GMC Ext 4x4 has a 4.8L engine and he recently drove it about 400 miles on the interstate and got 19.6 mpg. It does not have cruise control, so that impressed me just a bit.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by RamMark
Both my bank and my insurance company (thru their bank) have approved financing for me on a truck. So I told the sales guy I would consider their financing if they could match or beat what I can get there.
Any dealer would be willing to do this. It would be wise to go through them even if they are .25% higher. You will save more money by getting the $1k discount than what the 1/4% would amount to anyways.

I do not have a vehicle that I am going to trade, so that isn't a factor.

I told the sales guy (I've dealt with him recently on another deal - bought a used truck for my son) that I was gonna give him a shot and then shop his price around. The sticker on the 4.7L truck was $38,195 and $40k+ on the 5.7L Hemi (that included $1,200 in add-ons). As I said before, he priced both trucks for $25,300. I mistakenly said $23,500 and he just laughed and said there was no way they'd go that low. But based on what you guys are telling me here, I'm beginning to doubt that is completely true (at least I'm hoping).
No trade is perfect! No room for them playing games. Telling them that you will shop their number around will tell them you aren't serious and they will ALWAYS leave room for a lower figure because they figure you will go out and get someone to beat their price and then they will have anough reserved to even beat the competitors price. You never tell them you want to shop around! I NEVER gave those customers bottom dollar NEVER!

So if I ask to see the invoice they will show it to me? If so, is the invoice I'll see accurate or is it padded?
Yes they will gladly show you the invoice, all you need to do is ask.
As I stated before they have cushion in the invoice. Dealer cash and dealer incentive monies. If you do what i said about the $500 below invoice and free acc. and finance through them, thats the best deal you will ever get.
One more thing about the 4.7L truck... it is a Flex Fuel setup. I understand that means it will burn gasoline or ethanol, but does that change the performance or reliability any?

By the way, my son's '07 GMC Ext 4x4 has a 4.8L engine and he recently drove it about 400 miles on the interstate and got 19.6 mpg. It does not have cruise control, so that impressed me just a bit.
No on the Flex Fuel. That's just a big joke. Cost vs mileage factor, you end up in the same boat because ethanol burns faster than gasoline. I can get 19mpg's with my Quad Cab Hemi if it's all highway, but i would just expect 17/18 highway. 12/13 city.
Don't get the 4.7L for the same price, you'll regret it. There more power for the Hemi and the gas isn't even noticeable enough to matter.
FYI, I had a 2000 Silverado with the 4.8L and my Hemi gets the same mileage in a QC that I got in a reg cab Silverado. The 4.8L had the notorious "piston slap" they called it. It had that and one hell of a rattling cam upon start-up and lifter clack when the oil was hot. It did it from 38kmi up until i traded it in with 76kmi. They still do it even in the newer one's! As far as power, my Hemi would run circles around that pathetic 4.8L. It's amazing how much diff the power of this truck makes my old Silverado that had 275hp look pathetic when I tow my car.

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-23-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

You'd better buy an F'n truck based on all this info. This took alot of my precious time and my time aint cheap

LMAO.....j/k

Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 PM
sos
All Star

Well my sticker price was $38,340, and I paid about $25500 for it, so you are getting a little more off than I did. You might be able to go a little lower, but he might not go down a whole lot. It doesn't hurt to try. The worst they can say is no, and they realize it might mean a lost sale to them if they won't budge at all. You said you don't NEED a truck now, so you have the ability to walk away - which can sometimes be a great negotiating tactic.

If they show you the invoice (they don't usually show you if they don't have to), it doesn't show manufacturer to dealer incentives (rebates), so whatever the invoice says, they still get those rebates to them on top of that. These are paid to the dealer on completion of a sale of the vehicle - motivation for them to sell the truck. It's just like a mail in rebate that you would do, except it goes right to the dealer, and in turn, they take that off the price you pay (in theory). So if they are offering $5000 in rebates, and the invoice says $25k, the dealer is actually paying $20k once they get their rebate (just an example). The discount they are giving you for financing is probably a rebate as well - Dodge gives your dealer $1k more back if they convince you to finance with Dodge.

Ethanol is less efficient than gasoline, so a gallon of ethanol will not give you as many miles as a gallon of gasoline. I haven't driven a flex-fuel vehicle, so I don't know about performance. In theory, it should not effect reliability.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 AM
stevo936

Def get the hemi. More power and pretty much same fuel economy. I only got my 4.7 because of the stick shift. If i wanted auto i would of went hemi...

Quick Reply: '08 Ram 5.7 Hemi vs '08 Ram 4.7