3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

'08 Ram 5.7 Hemi vs '08 Ram 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:17 AM
RamMark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Telling them that you will shop their number around will tell them you aren't serious and they will ALWAYS leave room for a lower figure because they figure you will go out and get someone to beat their price and then they will have anough reserved to even beat the competitors price. You never tell them you want to shop around! I NEVER gave those customers bottom dollar NEVER!
I've already bought one truck from them, albeit it a used truck, and today was the second time I have been there to talk to him about a new Dodge. I think he knows I'm seriously considering the purchase.

I have a '93 Toyota SR5 4x4 I'm using now for a daily driver and it is a solid truck. I'm just a big guy (6'-4") and I'm ready to get back into a full-size truck. Plus, I just stinkin' have the itch for a new truck...

The only Dodge I've owned was a 2001 Ram 1500 Ext 2WD that had the equivalent of a 318cid engine that was as weak as pink tea. Plus, on top of having no power it only got 13-14mpg. It was a nice smooth ride, for sure... but I hated the performance.

I drove the truck w/ the 4.7L and plan to go drive the Hemi, too. It was a nice ride for the short distance I drove it. But I'll admit the lifetime powertrain warranty is the major appeal to me at this time.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:51 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Id only consider the hemi. Given the way things are now...i wouldnt offer more than 20K for it.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:52 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RamMark
I've already bought one truck from them, albeit it a used truck, and today was the second time I have been there to talk to him about a new Dodge. I think he knows I'm seriously considering the purchase.

I have a '93 Toyota SR5 4x4 I'm using now for a daily driver and it is a solid truck. I'm just a big guy (6'-4") and I'm ready to get back into a full-size truck. Plus, I just stinkin' have the itch for a new truck...

The only Dodge I've owned was a 2001 Ram 1500 Ext 2WD that had the equivalent of a 318cid engine that was as weak as pink tea. Plus, on top of having no power it only got 13-14mpg. It was a nice smooth ride, for sure... but I hated the performance.

I drove the truck w/ the 4.7L and plan to go drive the Hemi, too. It was a nice ride for the short distance I drove it. But I'll admit the lifetime powertrain warranty is the major appeal to me at this time.
For those two 08's definitely get the hemi. If for nothing else the resale and value of the hemi truck is higher...just like for any other option. Gas mileage will be close between the two until you add some weight on the truck...and that's when the motor that requires less engine load to do the same amount of work (*cough*hemi*cough*) will get better mpg.

I'd also look into the 09's or at least test drive one...the new hemi with the variable cam timing and higher compression is supposed to be a real monster with just an aftermarket tune. Dodge also finally jumped on the band wagon and put in cut-line doors...like the rest of the modern trucks and most cars. And believe it or not the new coil spring rear suspension is rated the same as the leafs...but has a better ride. They do seem to squat more though..but chrylser swears it's the same payload and tow.

And along the lines of what Dirtydog said about the ford...i'm a chevy fan also so don't rule them out. Yes, the early LSX/ LS based engines had piston slap on cold starts..but it's harmless and was fixed years ago as far as I know. Those engines are tried and true with a HUGE aftermarket. Just keep an open mind and you'll find one real nice truck somewhere...whether it's a dodge, chevy or ford.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:10 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

damn this thread is popular.

for sure the Hemi. the hemi also has more upgrade options if you even decide to upgrade it, even with just a tuner.

I'd much rather have a 08 I talked down in price rather than an 09 that hasn't been proven yet. the 09 engines have new features that haven't been field tested yet. though gotta admit, the 09s do have a lot of fancy features and options...that can break

Old 01-24-2009, 12:21 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
damn this thread is popular.

for sure the Hemi. the hemi also has more upgrade options if you even decide to upgrade it, even with just a tuner.

I'd much rather have a 08 I talked down in price rather than an 09 that hasn't been proven yet. the 09 engines have new features that haven't been field tested yet. though gotta admit, the 09s do have a lot of fancy features and options...that can break
ahahha true...but i'm sure the same was said about the 02 third gens and 03's with the hemi

Old 01-24-2009, 01:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I think going in to the dealership and only offerring a price below $20k is a bit unreasonable. Heck, The so called residual value of y truck on a Lease Term is $18,800 after a 27mo. lease. with 20kmi allowable.....pffftttt....lmao

Seriously, you won't get that truck for under $20k. Plain and simple. They will make it a Demo and then a dealer grocery getter before they lose thousands! I can promise you they don't own that truck for $20k. More like $23k and now, prob more because they are paying interest on it every day it sits on their lot.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:48 PM
RamMark

They priced it at $25,300... so I'm thinkin' to go offer them $24,000 and stand firm. I'm sure they won't take it and I'll have to walk away, but they have my phone number and will hopefully think it over and reconsider.

I took my '93 Toyota on a 134-mile trip this morning on hilly, curvy Arkansas roads and it got 19.2mpg. Not too bad considering it has a V6, 5-speed, lifted and running 32x11.50 STTs.

I appreciate all the discussion and help given here. I'll keep you posted with how I come out.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by RamMark; 01-24-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:54 PM
SUNBURSTKID
Amateur

IM A CHRYSLER EMPLOYEE AND PAID $25k FOR MINE WHICH LISTED AT $39.9.DONT BE STUPID IF ITS THAT CHEAP BETTER TAKE THE HEMI BEFORE ITS GONE!!

YOU ARE GETTING THE BOTTOM LINE PRICE THEY ARE SELING IT FOR,THE ONLY MONEY THEY MAKE IS SOME HOLD BACK FROM CHRYSLER.OR IF YA FINANCE THRU THEM.
IF ITS A Q/C HEMI 4X4 THEN YOUR GETTING A ONCE IN A LIFE TIME DEAL!!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SUNBURSTKID
IM A CHRYSLER EMPLOYEE AND PAID $25k FOR MINE WHICH LISTED AT $39.9.DONT BE STUPID IF ITS THAT CHEAP BETTER TAKE THE HEMI BEFORE ITS GONE!!

YOU ARE GETTING THE BOTTOM LINE PRICE THEY ARE SELING IT FOR,THE ONLY MONEY THEY MAKE IS SOME HOLD BACK FROM CHRYSLER.OR IF YA FINANCE THRU THEM.
IF ITS A Q/C HEMI 4X4 THEN YOUR GETTING A ONCE IN A LIFE TIME DEAL!!

WE CAN READ just fine. Stop the CAPS already!

Rammark, don't get too greedy because if they sell it to someone else or decide to keep it for dealer use as I stated, then you'll be kickin yourself in the pants for not jumping on it. I paid $29k for my truck last year, so your getting your for over $4k cheaper than what i got mine for. I had a trade and we all know, trade's suck.
Anyways, food for thought.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the HEMI!!! That is all.
My 08 stickered for $35,090. I gave $27,000 for it and they threw in a free set of Mopar Chrome tube bars for the sides, a spray-in bed liner and a free bottle of touch-up paint. This was in June for a 2wd, so $24K sounds reasonable.

Mine has the optional chrome bug shield, Chrome clad 20" wheels and OWL white letter tires.

Quick Reply: '08 Ram 5.7 Hemi vs '08 Ram 4.7