3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 RAM 2500 air draft

Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
coolmand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 RAM 2500 air draft

I just bought a 2006 Ram 2500 diesel. On the passenger side there is a draft comming in around the glove box, not from the heater duct. Dont see any holes in the firewall to be letting air in. Just wondering were I should start looking.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
coolmand

K I found the problem, the door for outside air and inside air broke and fell off restricting suction and allowing outside air into the cab. What is involved in removing the HVAC?

I am guessing removing the dash, air conditioning refrigerant, coolant and heater core hoses, then remove the system, and replace the door.

Thats a lot of work for one door!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Moved thread to 3rd gen section.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
melhoff13
Rookie
Default Me too

I am having the same problem on my wife's 2006 1500. Did you figure out how to replace the door? I am not a mechanic and will take this to the shop if it's not an easy fix.

We just returned from a 4 hour drive and my wife froze her butt off the whole way because the cold air was blowing on her legs.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM
coolmand

Well I have done some reserch and there is an updated housing and door, some sites say they might replace it on warranty because it is such a common problem on the 2006's, i would check on that first.

Also what i did to fix the problem for now is removed glove box, broke the plastic tabs for the inlet, removed the door from the hole i just made bigger, and taped cardboard over the hole. Took only a couple minutes and works for now. Heat works good now but you can't switch to inside air recurculation, because the door is not there.

I guess to fix it you have to remove the dash and the housing with the door, was told it will take the dealer 2 hrs to do. If its the blend door they have to remove the refrigerant, coolant, dash and HVAC unit takes 8hrs or more.

Sounds like you have the same problem, just remove the glove box and behind it you will see a box and at the top a opening with plastic grid, if the door is off and laying down it broke off, it should be hanging and blocking the opening.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Fris
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can this "updated" part be found? do you just ask for it at the dealership?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:37 AM
R1mark

I had the same problem on my 06 when i bought it . you have to take the entire dash out to get the metal dash frame and take that out to get to the havc. the dealer had to sell me a whole new havc head which was about 30$ because they were having problems with them breaking but still no recall. best of luck to you
p.s. from start to finish if you know what u r doing should be less than 6 hrs just go buy the part b4 you take anything apart trust me i had to take mine apart 3 times and it sucks

Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
R1mark

another thing you could do is take out the glove box and stuff a small travel pillow over the hole to cure the problem. that is what i had to do.

I had just bought my truck i drove it and didnt notice any thing on a nice 70 degree day. so i paid and started my 1500 mile drive back home i didnt get far after the sun set b4 i noticed i had a problem

i would be happy to help anyone replace their's but i don't many of u live in wisconsin

Last edited by R1mark; 02-18-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 AM
coolmand

I guess the dealership should have the updated one, just ask them. Don't just replace the door, only fix's problem for a short period of time

Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
coolmand

I am in talks with the dealership to see if they will replace for free, will let u all know what they say, the pillow trick will work but you have to remove the door that fell down cause it is now restriction you inlet air and your heater wont work to its full potential (wont blow as much air)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 RAM 2500 air draft