3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 Transmission Issue Hard Down Shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
mshardee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

azdecals what engine and trans do you have in your truck?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
azdecals

It has the 4.7L V8 SFI OHV. I'm not sure on the trans. Is that info on one of the data plates? I didn't see it listed in my carfax report.

azdecals

Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM
chev20
Default chev20

My 2007 Dodge Durango (4.7 liter V8) seems to be having this exact problem. It only seems to be happening when I am de-accelerating and it is intermittent. I have my Durango at the dealer now. I am going to send them a link to this website so they are aware I am not along in experiencing this problem. I will let you know how it goes.

chev20

Old 02-26-2011, 11:59 AM
nixont
Default Another One Fixed

My 2007 Ram 1500 2wd was having the same problem. I took it to a dealer yesterday and he acted like it was pretty typical for the later model Chryslers. he flashed the firmware with an update and I haven't heard the noise since. Vehicle shifts very smoothly and controllably now.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 AM
dodgemexiguy

I bought 2007 Dodge Ram and I experienced the same problem a harsh downshift from the transmission when coming down around 35 MPH , I took my truck to the dealer but the transmission was out of warranty and I did not have money to pay it, so they told me ones you are here your pick up has a recall it was J05 EGR Diagnostic monitor we can do it now you don't have to pay!.
they fixed emissions Recall J05 reprogram PCM- EGR diagnostic Monitor
the Power Control Module (PCM) was reprogrammed,
so far it seem that after they reprogrammed and recall was done, it fixed the shift problem I was having!!
not sure if that had anything to do with it but I'm sooo happy you should try to reprogram the powertrain Module (PCM) or check if the Emission Recall J05 was done on your pick up if don't do it may it solve the problem.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgemexiguy
I bought 2007 Dodge Ram and I experienced the same problem a harsh downshift from the transmission when coming down around 35 MPH , I took my truck to the dealer but the transmission was out of warranty and I did not have money to pay it, so they told me ones you are here your pick up has a recall it was J05 EGR Diagnostic monitor we can do it now you don't have to pay!.
they fixed emissions Recall J05 reprogram PCM- EGR diagnostic Monitor
the Power Control Module (PCM) was reprogrammed,
so far it seem that after they reprogrammed and recall was done, it fixed the shift problem I was having!!
not sure if that had anything to do with it but I'm sooo happy you should try to reprogram the powertrain Module (PCM) or check if the Emission Recall J05 was done on your pick up if don't do it may it solve the problem.
All,

Here is a copy of the J05 recall notice.

California Emissions Recall J05

Reprogram PCM – EGR Diagnostic Monitor
Effective immediately, all repairs on involved vehicles are to be performed
according to this notification. Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #18-039-08 no
longer applies to vehicles with an automatic transmission (sales code DGQ) and
a California emission control system (sales code NAE). Those vehicles that
have already had this repair performed, as determined by our warranty records,
have been excluded from this recall.
2007 (DR) Dodge Ram 1500 Truck
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.7L engine
(“N” in the 8th VIN position), automatic transmission (sales code DGQ) and a
California emission control system (sales code NAE).
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on about 9,800 of the above vehicles may
not be able to detect a completely blocked EGR valve or passage. Without this
ability, a blocked valve or passage may cause the engine to emit nitrogen oxides at
levels which may exceed California Emissions Standards.

Reprogram PCM – EGR Diagnostic Monitor
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be reprogrammed.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:21 PM
vmax4ya
Default 06 ram1500 4.7

I had been having many of the same symptoms as described on here. reving while at idle, hard down shifting especialy at 40-50 mph or even coasting t, and reving while driving and causing the down shift to occur rather hard. I read these posts and decided to replace my (TPS) Throttle position sensor. Happy to say I just finished the install and took it out for a test drive and back in business !!! A couple of youtube vids, trip to auto parts store,$40 bucks and 30 mins.. Thanks for posting guys..

Old 09-18-2015, 11:08 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vmax4ya
I had been having many of the same symptoms as described on here. reving while at idle, hard down shifting especialy at 40-50 mph or even coasting t, and reving while driving and causing the down shift to occur rather hard. I read these posts and decided to replace my (TPS) Throttle position sensor. Happy to say I just finished the install and took it out for a test drive and back in business !!! A couple of youtube vids, trip to auto parts store,$40 bucks and 30 mins.. Thanks for posting guys..
Happy this forum could be of help to you! Welcome!

Old 06-21-2017, 02:22 AM
cwright
Default Help

Hi i am new to the forum. I am having all same problems as everyone has stated i just baught my 07 dodge ram 1500 4.7l 2wd last week from a used car dealer test drive was great and driving home was great but next day started downshifting hard. One forum said throttle postion sensor other said transfer case shift actuator motor can anyone help me.

Quick Reply: 07 Transmission Issue Hard Down Shift