3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plugs for HEMI

Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 AM
CARRASCO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs for HEMI

I've been searching threads for info on spark plugs for my HEMI. I have been sticking to NGK, mainly because of the rumors that the HEMIs are "burning" up the performance spark plugs.I'm seriously considering goint to a performance ingintion and wires, but not if I can't complete the install with REALLY GOOD plugs.Any serious comments or recommendations?(not interested in product bashin', or chest thumpin')

Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put NGK 5306s on mine 18 months and 13K ago (yeah, not a lot of miles). She had 86K at the time and they'd never been changed. Still runs strong and gets decent mileage. Lots of other changes, too, so who can say what contributed. Don't know about the Hemis "burning up" plugs, but they don't like platinums for some reason.

I'm considering new wires this summer. Not sure what to use. I know I won't use "shorties". Haven't researched in a while, but I believe MSD 8.2mm is what I'll get.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

When I changed mine I went with the factory Champions copper plus. That was the advice I got from other HEMI guys on here. It was a toss up between those and the NGK's.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 PM
CARRASCO
Default keep 'em commin...

thanx for the input.
Anyone else got any experience with aftermarket plugs?
I think if I keet the Champions or NGKs, then why get the cablers and coils (coils get espensive). But if I fing aftermarket performance plugs, then got for the whole ignition system.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Army_HEMI2WD
Rookie

well i have bosch 4+ platniums and accell wires (advanced auto stuff) havent had any issues yet. however ive only had them in for about 2000 miles. trucks got 95k on it, so i guess ill see how well they do in the long run.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll be switching to the NGK's when mine come due!!! I have always hated Champion plugs!!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by lxman1
I'll be switching to the NGK's when mine come due!!! I have always hated Champion plugs!!
why have you hated the champion plugs?? it is a factory plug ...if it stunk they wouldny use them . just wanted to know why you disliked them?
my 04 hemi is commin up on 30k and i will be replacing plugs soon with the champion but wanted to hear why you dont like them

Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

There is no such thing as a performance spark plug. Any plug with more than one electrode is a gimmick.

Find a heat range the motor likes and you'll have your "performance" plug at a whopping cost of $1.50 a pop.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
why have you hated the champion plugs?? it is a factory plug ...if it stunk they wouldny use them . just wanted to know why you disliked them?
my 04 hemi is commin up on 30k and i will be replacing plugs soon with the champion but wanted to hear why you dont like them
I've bought a lot of Champion plugs in my day...never bought a good one. Just had to change the Champions in my JD -- they'd only been in there about sixteen hours of engine time. The Boschs I put in fired right up, an' I bet they will next spring, too. The Champions in my Kawasaki lasted less than a month. The factory uses them 'cause they're cheap, not 'cause they're good. It's a maintenance item, so there are no warranty issues.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, They do not last. 30K miles for a set of pugs on a modern day engine is crazy. They should at least last 60K.

I have used them in several other applications and they just do not perform/last as they should.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plugs for HEMI