Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 solid axle conversion! HELP

Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Default Ram 1500 solid axle conversion! HELP

I have 9" of lift on a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 I would like to put a solid front axle in the front of it and get rid of all the IFS bull crap. What do I have to do in order to get this project done? Where can i get parts from? Like a refurbished axle or soemthing.

THANKS!!!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
much more...
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Veteran
2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2002 1500 QC 4x4

Id start at the junk yard. Pull a straight axle out of a 2500 and marry 'em up. Its just a simple matter of welding the appropriate brackets and getting it all together. the scrap yard is where you should start. New bushing and bearings and gaskets and what not would be a good idea too but you wont know what you need until you have the new (used) axle.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500

I wish it were that easy. I just went through all of this. I did allot of searching and researching and in the end I found the easiest way to do a solid axle swap.

Sell The 1500 And Buy a 2500!!!

I know that is not the answer you are looking for, but honestly that is the most cost effective way there is...

Last edited by Alpheus; 03-25-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Old 03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Record Breaker
2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 06 TRX4 QC HEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
I wish it were that easy. I just went through all of this. I did allot of searching and researching and in the end I found the easiest way to do a solid axle swap.

Sell The 1500 And Buy a 2500!!!

I know that is not the answer you are looking for, but honestly that is the most cost effective way there is...
+1! unless of course you have your own fabrication and machine shop.......
Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 03 Ram

It's not hard at all, but if you don't know what you need, you probably can't handle it.

It would cost about $1k in parts.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

yeah $1k is worth it.. since you will using it for a long time..
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 PM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 SLT

Check out this set up. http://dodgeforum.com/forum/members/6929-ce2flaco.html Click on "ram pics" in his sig. Also use the search fuction for more on solid axle swaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_marine View Post
You gotta lube it up, and ease it in, inch by inch.... like a gentleman.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red06RAM View Post
Check out this set up. http://dodgeforum.com/forum/members/6929-ce2flaco.html Click on "ram pics" in his sig. Also use the search fuction for more on solid axle swaps.
That swap above cost that guy well over 6K. You should do a bit more research in the cost of a SAS. If it only cost 1K I would have done it. Its a bit more complex than just a couple of welds and a couple of bolts. One of the hardest things to consider is how are you going to steer it? You cant use your rack and pinion steering on a solid axle. You gotta put a steering box in there somewhere. It costs more than 1K to do a SAS on an older Chevy and they make kits for that swap...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 03 Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
That swap above cost that guy well over 6K. You should do a bit more research in the cost of a SAS. If it only cost 1K I would have done it. Its a bit more complex than just a couple of welds and a couple of bolts. One of the hardest things to consider is how are you going to steer it? You cant use your rack and pinion steering on a solid axle. You gotta put a steering box in there somewhere. It costs more than 1K to do a SAS on an older Chevy and they make kits for that swap...
It only costs $1k for a fabricator that knows what they're doing and doesn't think you need a "kit". Hell, almost everything you need can be easily found at a junkyard.

Just because one guy spent $6k, doesn't mean that's how much they cost. I could do one that cost $10k.

It doesn't matter what vehicle you have, a SAS will almost always require the same parts. The only thing that ever can get pricey is having a driveshaft made.

Now, if you have someone else do the work, it will get pricey because of all the hours. It's not hard, just a lot to do.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

OK you do it then for under 1K. You cant do it!!! I have accsess to every piece of equipment that is needed for nothing? If it was so easy to do why hasnt the after market companies come up with a kit or a way to do it? Hell Dodge Ram is a heavy hitter in the world of 4X4 and this topic has been discussed on all the forums out there including this one the big name magazines and no one makes a kit. I can buy a SAS kit for Suzuki,Toyota,Chevy, and if you dont want to buy a kit you can at least find over 100 articles explaining a DIY SAS swap for one of those vehichles. But for some reason ( maybe you can come up with one) there is no DIY for a 3rd gen 1500. Maybe because it is cost ineffective. Meaning its cheaper to buy a 2500. The frames for a 1500 and a 2500 in the front are totally different and for his install He has torsion bars which makes it evn harder. The only way of doing for 1000 bucks is to cut the truck in half and have someone give him a 2500 that was totalled from being hit in the *** and cutting it in half and weld the two together. (MAYBE) I have talked to many people on this subject I even had the engineering dept. in my company throw all of this on there CAD system to come up with a way to do it cheap and easy with no results. These are 2 totally different trucks. (in the front)...

This has been discussed at length on this forum. Why dont you use that big brain of yours and use the SEARCH button and look for yourself!!!

Here Ill Help:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...axle-swap.html

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...06-1500-a.html

This took me under a minute to find. You should try it too!!!

Last edited by Alpheus; 03-25-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM

Tags
03, 1500, 4x4, axle, chevy, conversion, dodge, dpdge, durango, kit, ram, ram1500, solid, straight, swap