3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pinion Bearing failed, dealer rebuilding entire rear end!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang, 35k on an 03!!! thats awsome.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmby

He He He He...........................Al.

Don't make me have to come over there!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 AM
9SEC6SPD
Rookie

do you tow with the truck alot? if so is it an open or enclosed trailer?

and if enclosed do you have airbags on it?

assuming you have a Camaro...they rule!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
abarmby
Champion
Talking

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Don't make me have to come over there!!!
I thought you'd laugh at that Hammer, LOL.

His problem does sound like the clip issues doesn't it?

Good job he's still got a waranty. I hope they rebuild it properly.
I think they still use those same crappy clips for the new install though???

Here's a thought 97LT4SS .............ask the dealership if they will install either an Aurburn or a DTT instead of that clunker of a stock LSD piece of S***.
I know that they won't warranty the LSD if they do that and you'd have to stump up to pay for the aftermarket LSD but, you won't get any further trouble with the diff after that install either.
Plus, you'd never worry about the clips again.
Al.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM
97LT4SS

I've only towed 3 cars since buying the truck May 2003. Calling dealership today to verify wether they are rebuilding my LSD or replacing the entire unit.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Trigger
Professional

I think they still use those same crappy clips for the new install though???
Why in God's name would they use the same $hity parts??????? How many of these have been fixed under warranty? You'd think by now Dodge would have at least built heavier duty clips or something. WTF?

Mine failed last Friday. Still waiting to hear from the dealer what they are going to do about it.

If they put the same parts back in, I'm trading the truck in. That's absolutely insane!! They know there's a major problem and haven't even made a mid model year update or something.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trigger
Why in God's name would they use the same $hity parts??????? How many of these have been fixed under warranty? You'd think by now Dodge would have at least built heavier duty clips or something. WTF?

Mine failed last Friday. Still waiting to hear from the dealer what they are going to do about it.

If they put the same parts back in, I'm trading the truck in. That's absolutely insane!! They know there's a major problem and haven't even made a mid model year update or something.
Welcome to the way business is conducted in America anymore. Chrysler has known about the issue since at least mid/late '03 and has done nothing about a recall or much else about it yet. Same with the dashes collapsing, warped rotors and a host of other issues that should warrant a total recall.

Hell, I play golf with the sales and service managers of my local dealership and we've openly talked about the LSD issues, then I've been up there and witnessed this same service manager tell a guy whose rear end exploded because of it, that it's the first he's seen or heard or it happening!!! When I question him about it, he says, "Chrysler says we have to say that, I could lose my job if I don't."

But don't be in such a big hurry to trade that truck in. On what?
Ford has a major problem with head gaskets and blown engines due to cutting the number of bolts holding the head down by half to save cost, not to mention other problems. GM has a host of recurring issues. Toyota has rear end problems and has had a HUGE number of cams literally fall apart inside the truck, taking the entire engine out, due to going with the "low bid" on cams. So pick your poison...

Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Trigger
Professional

I could let slide the lack of recall. Detroit rarely does this anymore unless a judge puts a gun to their face.

What bothers me is the fact that Dodge hasn't even made an attempt to correct a very big problem. At least a mid-model year update.

Also, where did you hear that Toyota has rear diff problems? I heard about the cam issues in the 07(?) Tundra, but not much else.
At least Toyota has the ***** to step up and recall those cams. They want to have happy repeat customers.

Oh well. By summertime Chrysler will be nothing but a fading memory.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trigger
I could let slide the lack of recall. Detroit rarely does this anymore unless a judge puts a gun to their face.

What bothers me is the fact that Dodge hasn't even made an attempt to correct a very big problem. At least a mid-model year update.

Also, where did you hear that Toyota has rear diff problems? I heard about the cam issues in the 07(?) Tundra, but not much else.
At least Toyota has the ***** to step up and recall those cams. They want to have happy repeat customers.

Oh well. By summertime Chrysler will be nothing but a fading memory.
I've got two guys in a hunting club with me, one had the cam issue, and lost the use of his truck for a couple of months waiting on an engine rebuild and back-ordered cam. He's since sold the truck because he didn't trust a rebuild and only the 3/36 warranty on the truck.
The other had the diff go at 8000 miles and was told by his local dealer that Toyota had metallurgy problems in the diffs and had subsequently changed suppliers over it.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Trigger
Professional

.....subsequently changed suppliers over it.
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

You don't contiue to build a product with shoddy parts for the next 8 years. If I was to buy a new Tundra tomorrow it would have a updated cam and rear diff in it.

I'm willing to bet, the 09 Ram has the exact same parts in the rear that the 02 - 08's have. And will have diff failures also.

Last edited by Trigger; 04-02-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Pinion Bearing failed, dealer rebuilding entire rear end!