3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pinion Bearing failed, dealer rebuilding entire rear end!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

oh, I'm not disputing you, if you remember, I said "welcome to the way business is conducted in America, anymore...

My point is they are ALL having really major issues trying to cut costs. It's the way the individual company deals with those issues that's the difference anymore. But even the Toyota, Nissan and Honda's are having problems you used to NEVER hear about...

Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
97LT4SS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck should be ready on Friday. Excellent turnaround, tech said Dodge replaces the entire carrier all he has to do is connect the axels (with new bearings/seals) and attach the brakes. Brakes are original so I ordered new Power Slot rotors and Hawk pads...dealer is installing them as I type. Pushed for a new Driveshaft but dealer is only replacing the yoke.

I also had them flush the transmission, front differential and transfer case fluid, am I throwing $ out the window? I had planned on doing all this myself over the spring but getting tired of working on my back.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Trigger
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
oh, I'm not disputing you, if you remember, I said "welcome to the way business is conducted in America, anymore...

My point is they are ALL having really major issues trying to cut costs. It's the way the individual company deals with those issues that's the difference anymore. But even the Toyota, Nissan and Honda's are having problems you used to NEVER hear about...
I know It's just very frustrating as I don't have the money to replace the f-ed up parts with aftermarket stuff.

It's a real shame. Dodge has a very powerful and comfortable truck. Looks killer to boot too. But the quality has taken a real nosedive in recent years. I suppose they all have, as Detroit wouldn't be in the place they are in.

97LT4SS. What's up with having GM cars, but driving a Dodge truck? You lose a bet or what

Old 04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
97LT4SS

The initial Hemi Advertising along with the 20's sucked me in. I actually traded in an F-150 to buy the Ram back in '03, go figure. I also own a '96 VW Passat wagon to haul my GSD's around in.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

OMG - that had to suck - but I am glad they are fixing it, I woulda freaked out if this happened to me...

As I read this my face was priceless... ......(at hammer gettin picked on)... to hear about the fixedness about it

--Cow-Chick--

Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM
97LT4SS

Picked up the truck yesterday, dealer put a brand new rear end in, disk to disk. Not sure why the dealer didn't rebuild the original but now I have a 2009 rear in my truck. They also put in a new Driveshaft and installed Powerslot rotors/Hawk pads which I supplied for $120. Very happy with the entire process, cost to Dodge was over $6k including labor. Only grip I have is they didn't clean the differential fluid off the underside of my truck....it's everywhere. Geuss that's what Gunk is for.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Trigger
Professional

Originally Posted by 97LT4SS
Picked up the truck yesterday, dealer put a brand new rear end in, disk to disk. Not sure why the dealer didn't rebuild the original but now I have a 2009 rear in my truck. They also put in a new Driveshaft and installed Powerslot rotors/Hawk pads which I supplied for $120. Very happy with the entire process, cost to Dodge was over $6k including labor. Only grip I have is they didn't clean the differential fluid off the underside of my truck....it's everywhere. Geuss that's what Gunk is for.
No you don't have a "2009" rear in your truck. There is no such thing. They are all the same f'd up design since 2002.

Here's another discussion we've been having this week. See the latest posts.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-respond.html

Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM
97LT4SS

[quote=Trigger;1626371]No you don't have a "2009" rear in your truck. There is no such thing. They are all the same f'd up design since 2002.

Bar code reads Jan 2009, sounds like it was manufactured in 2009 to me. Same bad quality as my original rear....yes I understand that but it's still new. Better than having a Dodge tech rebuild the original.

I'll check out the new thread, thanks.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn it! I hope the 2009 rear is changed!!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
dasob
Default My second one has failed

I have a 98 Ram 1500 2WD. I had the pinion bearing go out and had to have it replaced in June of 06. Now the replacement bearing is whining. Last time I got the job done for $700 and change - pretty reasonable, actually. Just a pain in the rear end (ba-dump, BOOMP!) to have to do that again within 3 years.

The rear-end shop that did the work is reputable enough, and they tell me that failure of the pinion gear bearing is very common in Dodge trucks. They have even written to Dodge to try to get Dodge to come up with a fix, but Dodge says there's nothing wrong with the design. Either someone's lying or they don't know jack about the subject.

Last edited by dasob; 05-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Pinion Bearing failed, dealer rebuilding entire rear end!