3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DMH Electric Cut Out...

Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMH Electric Cut Out...

Hey everyone.

If i buy a electric cut out, should i bring it to a muffler shop to get it installed. I have no tools for the install and i'm not good with installations. Also, can they do the electrical part? What type of shop should i bring it to to get it done? Muffler shop or Car customization shop.

Thanks

-Erik

Old 04-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EJM05
Hey everyone.

If i buy a electric cut out, should i bring it to a muffler shop to get it installed. I have no tools for the install and i'm not good with installations. Also, can they do the electrical part? What type of shop should i bring it to to get it done? Muffler shop or Car customization shop.

Thanks

-Erik
The install is pretty easy, but if you don't have tools you should probably take it to an exhaust shop. The wiring is super easy, that part you can do without almost any tools. If I remember correctly, it is only two wires to the switch and then plug into the cutout. If you need help with the wiring PM me and I will walk you through it. Would hate to see you spend money on something like wiring a cutout.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
codiac
Professional

My QTP came w/ the "y" style pipe that I had the muffler shop weld in, and the electric cutout part bolted to the flange on the y, which i did when i got home since I would need to run the wire anyhow.

Make sure and either A) mock it up yourself so you know the clearance is there or B) have them weld it in with the cutout already bolted on so they can position it right....you might run into clearance issues w/ the driveshaft or frame rail if you don't...i was close and almost had to go back to have it rotated a bit because I didn't take into account how far out the motor on the cutout stuck out.

If you can't wire it up yourself, I'd have the Y put in at a muffler shop for cheap, and then take it to a good audio shop to run the wire and mount your switch. A customization shop might take you to the cleaners on putting something like that in start to finish.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
The install is pretty easy, but if you don't have tools you should probably take it to an exhaust shop. The wiring is super easy, that part you can do without almost any tools. If I remember correctly, it is only two wires to the switch and then plug into the cutout. If you need help with the wiring PM me and I will walk you through it. Would hate to see you spend money on something like wiring a cutout.
Ok thank you. I will PM once i get the cut out. I need my dad to get it for me as a graduation present. but early though. I know you mentioned that you have a cut out. Which one is it again?

Thank you

Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

teach has a DMH

Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

teach loves his cutout. Everytime anybody mentions anything about exhaust, he screams from the mountain tops, E-CUTOUT!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
teach loves his cutout. Everytime anybody mentions anything about exhaust, he screams from the mountain tops, E-CUTOUT!!!
You got that right . It is the best exhaust mod that I have ever done.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my DMH 3" e-cutout also

Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
hemipower05
Professional

hey teach do u have a video or audio clip of your cutout? is it obnoxiously loud too?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by hemipower05
hey teach do u have a video or audio clip of your cutout? is it obnoxiously loud too?
Here you go, these passes are at about 2500 rpm. It gets louder the more I get on the gas. If you stomp on it, it is LOUD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9cKiefYwkU

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DMH Electric Cut Out...