3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need new upper control arm with leveling kit ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
hemidel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have an 03'. I might be wrong, but do you have torsion bars?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

spring compresser sming compresser,You don't need no stnkin' spring compresser if you got a floor jack

Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by hemidel
You have an 03'. I might be wrong, but do you have torsion bars?
I would if i was a 4x4 sadly ive only got the 2wd though lol

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
spring compresser sming compresser,You don't need no stnkin' spring compresser if you got a floor jack
id rather be safe then sorry and if its free to rent one then might as well do it. will probably make the job a little easier

Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Payne09
Default Lift

Hey bro, you need the upper control arm to correct your geometry to be able to align your truck, and to keep your rack and pinion and sway bar and sway bar end links at the factory and recommended level..... i bought, what was supposed to be a 3" coil spring lift, but it was a 6" spring, bought some new upper control arms but they are for 2-4 inches of lift not 6, but it cost me 1000 dollars to fix all the crap it broke, and it never aligned right..... but if you get just a 2 or 2 1/2 inch leveler and upper control arms you'll be set, but if you want a 3" lift without anything extra get a 3" spindle lift. if you do this the ride is as smooth as all get out and you will actually save money for a better and bigger lift... lol but if you got any questions about lift for a dodge ram 1500 2wd i got just about all the answers you need lol cuz i had about the same problem, and ive been researching this lift stuff for about 6 months and finnaly just got what i needed. but hopefully this answered your questions later bro hit me up with some feed back....

Old 05-29-2009, 04:09 PM
explorer9950
Veteran

no, thats not true...I have an 07 2wd, which maybe in the 03 its different, but I doubt it...I had the 2.5 spacer put in with new shocks, those you do need, but as for control arms, you do not need those...mine do not hit what so ever, the front is a bit stiff from the new shocks but thats it...

Like I said, your 03 may very well need them, but for my personal experience, I did not need new control arms...

Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it could be nice to get some new control arms, but it isnt necessary. i dont think ive ever seen any aftermarket control arms that compensate for a lift, just replacements. i did my 2.5 level without new arms, and it worked out just fine.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leveling kits are cool and do provide a little more clearance, but they really arent much else....

Any front IFS with struts will suffer the same fate with a leveling spacer. You cant just make a strut longer.

Technically, most all leveling kits, for rams, dakotas, f-150s, and the like should have new upper control arms. The problem is, once the kit is in, and you are under full articulation, the strut is extended 2.5" longer then it should be, because the leveling kit displaced it 2.5" lower on the strut mount on the frame. The upper control arm will swing down and in, too far beyond specifications, which will max the balljoint out on its side, and in alot of models, the control arm will rest on the struts coil spring. Normally, without a leveling kit making the strut longer then it should be, the strut will become fully extended before the control arm maxes out, thats the proper way.

When that happens the balljoint becomes the suspension limiter, because the control arm will rest on the coil spring, and want to go down even farther, but it cant, so now it puts pull on the balljoint (this doesnt happen with all trucks, but i know if happens with the dakota and the f-150) Also, it puts the balljoint at a maxed out angle reguardless of it resting on the coil spring or not.

Thats just the upper control arm issues. There are other things to consider, power steering rack and pinion tie rod angles. Most people dont conisder this, and even some lift kits over look the issue as well. Tie rods are supposed to opperate in a perfectly, or nearly perfect horizontal position. this way, there is no pressure on the ball socket on the inner tie rod end when you turn the wheels. When a levleing kit is installed, they opperate on an angle, and when the suspension is under full flex, you can wear out the inner tie rod ball rather quickly.

You can also consider the lower control arms balljoint. These usually dont max out as fast, and mostly likely are OK with 2.5" levleing kit, but they definately no longer opperate at dead center, they are angled as well.

I have installed quite a few leveling kits, Ive done 2 dakotas, and 1 F-150. All the issues were the same.

With all that being said - alot of people run leveling kits, and LOVE them, and some guys have some problems, and some guys dont. - Cant say what kind of effect it will have on the life of the components. Ive heard of some guys needing balljonts rather quickly with a kit, and Ive heard of some guys not needing them until years later, when you can argue they would have worn out anyway.

BUT, its my belief that there not a smart option. I say dont install it, and deal with the trucks ride height. thats just my opinion, and Its your truck, so more power to you if you want to install a kit and enjoy it. Do what makes you happy you know?

Just know all the cons going in. I want to see more Dodges on the road for the long run lol.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 05-30-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:29 PM
roadney
Professional

I installed a 2.5" spacer in my '02. You will definitely need a spring compressor with a 2.5" spacer. I barely managed to get mine in with a spring compressor and using two jacks. It would have been easier if I would have had someone helping me, but I do not see any way possible installing a 2.5" spacer without the spring compressor. I got the compressor a autozone for like 20-30 $ and I ended up keeping it. I had some empty space in my tool box.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:37 PM
all of 75
Veteran

When I talked to Rough Country about a leveling kit for my 03 4x4 they said it would be fine to keep the stock-length shocks. I never heard anything about needing new parts other than their kit.
Hmm... Strange Days Indeed

Quick Reply: Need new upper control arm with leveling kit ???