3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need new upper control arm with leveling kit ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:22 PM
74charger
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new upper control arm with leveling kit ???

OK so I recently asked if I needed llonger shocks for the 2.5 inch leveling kit i bought for my 2003 2wd 1500. I didnt really get a totally clear answer so I decided to call Daystar and ask them. I got even worse news from them, they said i would need a new upper control arm to make this leveling kit fit. But I know I've seen guys on here with the same kit and I'm doubting you guys got new upper sontrol arms. So I guess im asking first did you need an upper control arm ? and if not how did you get the srping back in? cus the guy said it would be extremely hard and he didn't really even understand how most ppl could do it.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional

Spring compressor??

Old 04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by theHemiBeast
Spring compressor??
Well yeah thats what I figured cus the directions with the kit even say spring compressor. I guess i shoulda asked him i was just alittle mad at the idea of having to buy new control arms. But you would think he would of thought of a spring compressor too .

Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional

Well, I just got my 2" spacers this week, and awaiting some new longer shocks. Once I get them in, I will be doing my rig. I am betting on the fact that I will not need a spring compressor, but I live right near an AutoZone just in case.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
74charger
Veteran

Well be sure to tell me how it goes. This leveling kit has been a real pain for me. everyone is telling me different things it seems. The 4x4 shop i bought it from said there is no way i would need biggger shocks. Ppl on here has mixed opinions on the bigger shocks and then daystar told me the new upper control arm crap. I'm so confused as to what i actually need.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I would be safe and rent a spring compressor...These springs are under a tremendous amount of pressure and are very heavy. If you mess up, and it bounces out and hits you, it will be a very unpleasant day.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by mfs212
Well, I would be safe and rent a spring compressor...These springs are under a tremendous amount of pressure and are very heavy. If you mess up, and it bounces out and hits you, it will be a very unpleasant day.
Yeah im going to for sure, Typically how much is it to rent a spring compressor?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM
mfs212
Captain

Well, here is my expirience. I did not need a new upper control arm...at least not yet. I got some bilstein shocks for a 2500 4x2 a few weeks after installing the kit. My expirience is that the stock shocks were bottoming out when I came over a speed bump, hit a dip, etc...

With the spacers in, the front is a little stiffer than it used to be, but the handling is better. The stock shocks were originals, so they were done at 55k, when I changed them. I have had my truck aligned twice since installing them, and my buddy at the shop said everything is looking pretty good. I have gotten several compliments on the ride quality since installing them, including from a buddy of mine with a GMC Sierra that he likes a lot.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM
mfs212
Captain

The compressor is free to rent at AZ, but you have to pay for it (like $100) as a deposit, and then get it back once you return it.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by mfs212
Well, here is my expirience. I did not need a new upper control arm...at least not yet. I got some bilstein shocks for a 2500 4x2 a few weeks after installing the kit. My expirience is that the stock shocks were bottoming out when I came over a speed bump, hit a dip, etc...
Yeah thats's exactly what i fiqured would happen but the guy at the 4x4 shop said no way your bump stops will prevent that. However I think im gonna go with the advice of almost everyone on here and get the new shocks. Im gonna be using my truck for a lot of camping an some light off-roading so bottoming out will be a major problem for me. And thats nice about the compressor rental i hope theres something like that here in calgary.

Quick Reply: Need new upper control arm with leveling kit ???