3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Troubles.. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 AM
B2TheEYo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Troubles.. Help!

(Sorry if the post is long, skip to the third bullet if you want to get to the gritty details and not read the history)

Hey all,

I'm new!

I own a 2003 Dodge Ram, 4.7L 4x4 Quad Cab, bought it used but have ALL the history on it (via the dealership). I feel safe saying so as this is a tiny area and the truck was brand new when purchased at the same Dealership I got it brand new off the factory line.

It seems that it was well maintained, it had a jingle in the engine apparently that no one could figure out so Chrysler put in a whole new block before I purchased it. So basically I got the truck with a new engine (one good thing).

But it's been a bit of a hassle, as much as I love it!

1 > One week the tail lights refused to work. Took it in for repair after trying to diagnose the issue. Checked all relays, fuses, switch and wiring. Came to find out it was the cluster and fusebox - $1200 bucks out the window.

2 > Three days after the tail light issues, the engine light came on for unknown reasons. Took it into the dealership and Chrysler said it would need a whole new Catalytic converter - quoted me $1600. Took it else where for $300. On top of that one tie rod was replaced as I found out it was wiggling my tire horribly, so now I got a mangled tire to replace in addition.

3 > Present day issues. The engine emits an odd ticking noise, very faint. Only on start up and seems to disappear after I rev the engine. I'm assuming it's the lifters, but it's odd that ANYTHING would be worn with a new engine or even carbon build up being an issue. If it is lifter issues, is that something I can replace myself, and how much could it potentially cost for parts.

Here is the real dandee of an issue though. When ever I'm in drive at a FULL stop and put it in reverse, or in reverse and put it in drive, again at a FULL stop, my rear differential emits a grueling grind noise, sometimes a bang. No howling or other noise is noticeable when driving. Also, sometimes, it doesn't make a noise at all!

I did replace the fluid in the differential not to long ago (few weeks). Clearly, that was never done before (at 150k KM). And if it was done before, they obviously did NOT clean out the pot, more or less just pried the bottom of the pot open let the oil poor out and then sealed it up again.

I cleaned it very thoroughly, I laid the WD40 to it to get everything out. LOTS of tiny shaving in the oil, looked like glitter. I inspected all the gears (had a friend let the truck coast in idle forward and reverse enough for half rotations of each visible gear over top of me while the differential was open) and seen no visible damage.

I put my hand over the differential and had a friend shift the transmission, a disturbing vibration/clunk feeling happens when I hold the differential housing where the drive shaft meets the differential.

Please someone, is this a common issue? I've had mechanics look at it and not know what too do. Should I worry about this? Can I get rid of this noise? It makes my sporty looking baby look/sound like a clunker when ever I go between the two gears..

Thanks, in advance!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 AM
abarmby
Champion

First question.

Is your truck fitted with the stock LSD......limited slip differential?

Please post up before I go further.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 04-27-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i agree, answer ^^ first.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:42 PM
sikinboat

the lifter noise is a lubrication issue not wear i have an 02 that has always done that on startup let it idle for a couple minutes it should go away if not then i would say there is a problem with the motor they put in.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah don't worry my'05 with the 4.7 does that samething.you should be good on that issue

Old 04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the u-joints, just had mine replaced under warranty for the same "clunking" noise. Turns out the front and back joints were bad on the rear driveline. Federal-Mogul makes "Precision" ones that have greasable zerks in the caps (stronger). Mine were factory units which are not greasable, so when I replace the front driveline u-joints, they're all getting replaced with greasables.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM
B2TheEYo

Thanks for the replies guys.

Good to hear on the lifters noise.

As for the differential, I couldn't say if she is a limited slip, or not.

It's an SLT sports model, if that helps. She's almost fully loaded with everything, I can find out if that doesn't help tomorrow. Luckily, I still have the original "window" spec sheet.

But I believe it's a limited slip...

On the U-Joint theory, that was one of my first conclusions, I jerked that shaft in all sorts of directions, the bearings in the u-joints seem fine.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
B2TheEYo

Hey all, sorry for getting back so late.

Okay so I checked my specsheet.

Standard equipment is a rear axle - LD differential, then in my custom preferred package is says anti-spin real axle.

So any clarification what I got going on here? And once we determine what I got rolling under that chassis, what are the possible/potential issues!

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:35 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

you have the LSD, meaning you have a grenade for a rear diff. take that rear diff apart ASAP!! there is a good DIY in the DIY section. it's easy to do, take you about an hour start to finish if you do just that.

sear "c clip" in the forum, you'll find a bunch of threads. it's not actually a 'c clip', it's a retaining clip problem, but you'll find more info under 'c clip'.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 AM
abarmby
Champion

Here's some pics top help you.
Al.
Name:  Passengersidemissingclippocket.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  Driverssidemissingclip.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  93.1 KB