3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

foglights and highbeams on at the same time? (i know its on here somewhere)

Old 10-15-2011, 02:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zbiggboy
The reason why they don't sell trucks or the dealership won't set up your truck to run with the high beams and the fogs on at the same time; is because it is illegal. DOT sets the standards for all lights. The height of the beams, total wattage ect. In Fact if you are running a 2500, or 3500 a DOT officer can cite you. Trucks at those weights are considered commercial.

James

Actually (and I know this quite well since I LOST a bet on the subject to a friend who is a city manager), the "DOT" that sets transportation standards and the "DOT" officer are two entirely different entities. The "DOT" that is associated with vehicle products, is actually officially called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and it is only empowered to "suggest" federal guidelines from a motor vehicle safety standpoint. It is NOT empowered to create or enforce ANY laws. As a matter of fact, it only has the power to designate products as either "equipment" or "accessory". The NHTSA does have a branch that purchases such equipment and tests it for safety issues, but at that point, can only contact the manufacturer and "suggest" that the product has safety issues. Conformance to NHTSA standards and the placement of the "DOT seal" is 100% a self certification process that rests in the hands of the manufacturer to determine that the product meets NHTSA standards. Thus, the NHTSA neither approves, disapproves, endorses or grants the right to affix a DOT seal on ANY product! It also does NOT enforce anything.

I have in my possession a copy of a letter written by Frank Seals, Chief Council of the NHTSA stating the above.

The NHTSA is but one of MANY branches of the Federal Department of Transportation which oversees all avenues of transportation be it by land, air or maritime.

Now the dude who pulls you over and writes you a ticket can be either employed by the State, County or City (town) and is simply a branch of either the State Police, County Sheriff or City Police Department.

Laws regarding how high a vehicle can be raised, placement and use of aftermarket lights and any other "vehicle laws" are NOT regulated by the Federal DOT and are in ALL instances subject to State and/or Local laws. What may be legel for me here in south Georgia may in fact be illegal in say Atlanta, Georgia.

So, just to clarify, if there is NO law regarding high beam use WITH fog lights on the books in either YOUR state or local area, then there is NO legal reason a dealership cannot change the function of your lights. They can choose to refuse to provide you with ANY service not expressly promised as a condition of the sale of the vehicle, but there is NOTHING legally stopping them from performing such service.

Also, I have access to a StarScan tool - there is no "export" setting, at least for the PCM in my '04. There are however a list of about 25 "country setting codes". NONE of these makes my Fogs stay on with my High Beams. They do give me daytime running lights and a few other features depending on what country I choose, but NONE have allowed my Fogs to stay on with Highs. I have a wire run between the relays for that. I have heard that this feature IS available for '05 PCMs, but I've not had the StarScan and an '05 together in the same place to try it.
On TIPM Rams, this is a setting on the StarScan tool to enable the feature...

Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 PM
zbiggboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Actually (and I know this quite well since I LOST a bet on the subject to a friend who is a city manager), the "DOT" that sets transportation standards and the "DOT" officer are two entirely different entities. The "DOT" that is associated with vehicle products, is actually officially called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and it is only empowered to "suggest" federal guidelines from a motor vehicle safety standpoint. It is NOT empowered to create or enforce ANY laws. As a matter of fact, it only has the power to designate products as either "equipment" or "accessory". The NHTSA does have a branch that purchases such equipment and tests it for safety issues, but at that point, can only contact the manufacturer and "suggest" that the product has safety issues. Conformance to NHTSA standards and the placement of the "DOT seal" is 100% a self certification process that rests in the hands of the manufacturer to determine that the product meets NHTSA standards. Thus, the NHTSA neither approves, disapproves, endorses or grants the right to affix a DOT seal on ANY product! It also does NOT enforce anything.

I have in my possession a copy of a letter written by Frank Seals, Chief Council of the NHTSA stating the above.

The NHTSA is but one of MANY branches of the Federal Department of Transportation which oversees all avenues of transportation be it by land, air or maritime.

Now the dude who pulls you over and writes you a ticket can be either employed by the State, County or City (town) and is simply a branch of either the State Police, County Sheriff or City Police Department.

Laws regarding how high a vehicle can be raised, placement and use of aftermarket lights and any other "vehicle laws" are NOT regulated by the Federal DOT and are in ALL instances subject to State and/or Local laws. What may be legel for me here in south Georgia may in fact be illegal in say Atlanta, Georgia.

So, just to clarify, if there is NO law regarding high beam use WITH fog lights on the books in either YOUR state or local area, then there is NO legal reason a dealership cannot change the function of your lights. They can choose to refuse to provide you with ANY service not expressly promised as a condition of the sale of the vehicle, but there is NOTHING legally stopping them from performing such service.

Also, I have access to a StarScan tool - there is no "export" setting, at least for the PCM in my '04. There are however a list of about 25 "country setting codes". NONE of these makes my Fogs stay on with my High Beams. They do give me daytime running lights and a few other features depending on what country I choose, but NONE have allowed my Fogs to stay on with Highs. I have a wire run between the relays for that. I have heard that this feature IS available for '05 PCMs, but I've not had the StarScan and an '05 together in the same place to try it.
On TIPM Rams, this is a setting on the StarScan tool to enable the feature...

Hammer,

You are correct in the they are two different things. However I kept it short since I didn't want to get in to much detail. A DOT officer is a local cop. And DOT is a branch of the Feds. What I meant to say was, DOT does regulate the total lamp out put and if you are using your highs, and your fogs than you now have more out put in watts than what the feds say a vehicle may have from the manufacture. Now as an individual you can do what you want... You may be subject to a ticket if a local cops feels like writing you one, ie. if you blind him when he passes you. That's all.

PS

I do like this site, and there is a lot of good information on here.

James

Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by zbiggboy
Hammer,

You are correct in the they are two different things. However I kept it short since I didn't want to get in to much detail. A DOT officer is a local cop. And DOT is a branch of the Feds. What I meant to say was, DOT does regulate the total lamp out put and if you are using your highs, and your fogs than you now have more out put in watts than what the feds say a vehicle may have from the manufacture. Now as an individual you can do what you want... You may be subject to a ticket if a local cops feels like writing you one, ie. if you blind him when he passes you. That's all.

PS

I do like this site, and there is a lot of good information on here.

James

Yeah I just had some information on this and figured I'd pass it along.

I made the mistake one day of making a statement where I said something to the effect that the DOT made something against the law regarding off-road lights in front of a friend who is a city manager AND **** as hell.
So he raised this big stink about the DOT (NHTSA) not having ANY powers to pass ANY laws, nor even regulate them. To the point that he emailed the director of the NHTSA, where he got a reply from their head council and just had to show it to me...

Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Dave M
Rookie

The laws here in NY say you can not drive with your high beams on when there is another vehicle within 100ft. It also says something about "dazzling" lights. That would be lights that are blinding but not "high beams". It would not be illegal to have high beams and fog lights on at the same time, as long as you shut the high beams off when there was another vehicle within 100ft. Laws are different in other states. When I need more light I just put the high beams on and then pull the lever back and hold it back. That keeps the high beams and fog lights on together.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah laws vary greatly even in the same state but county county and town to town. Where my property is in Ga. almost anything is allowed. When I'm in Florida in this county if your off-road lights are mounted above headlight level and they are not covered - automatic ticket even when off and during the day!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jsmith180601
does this affect the fog lamps when the turn signal is turned on? also wat gauge wire did u use?
No. The fogs will be on when your parking lights are turned on. Therefore they will be on when your low beams are on and when your high beams are on. Even if you don't pull the control out for fogs. I still pull it out so that the power is coming from parking light fuse and fog fuse, but the fogs run strictly off the parking light fuse when in high beams.

Not sure what the gauge wire it was. It came with the inline fuse from carquest a few years ago.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 PM
theice
Professional

i have a way to hook it up so the fogs work with the high beams but the switch still works as norman can turn fogs off when low beams are on or can turn them on with the switch if you are interested let me know you have to use a relay for this hookup.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah laws vary greatly even in the same state but county county and town to town. Where my property is in Ga. almost anything is allowed. When I'm in Florida in this county if your off-road lights are mounted above headlight level and they are not covered - automatic ticket even when off and during the day!

WAZ UP Hammer? Long time no see. In Colorado they stipulate that you can have 4 lights on at the same time.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by theice
i have a way to hook it up so the fogs work with the high beams but the switch still works as norman can turn fogs off when low beams are on or can turn them on with the switch if you are interested let me know you have to use a relay for this hookup.
I have mine hooked up the same way. I have my off-road lights hooked up to my fog light switch so I can't be having them on anytime my running lights are on...

Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 PM
boxerguy84
Rookie

Originally Posted by theice
I'd like to know how to do this. Do you have a diagram or something you could post? I have a '03. Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: foglights and highbeams on at the same time? (i know its on here somewhere)