3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Front-end Knocking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
masshole
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front-end Knocking noise?

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem with my front-end. Whenever I hit bumps or potholes etc., I'm getting a knocking noise coming from both front wheels. I jacked the front-end up to check if it was my ball joints - no issue there. I also checked my tie-rods too - same result. I'm thinking my shocks might be shot, I don't know.

I've had my 2.5 tcg leveling kit on for over a year know with the original shocks in place. So I'm wondering if this might be the culprit.

My truck currently has 43k miles on it. I'm taking it to a local shop this Monday to see what the problem may be. It could be the ball joints -or- tie rods, I wasn't to confident in how I tested them.

Any advise from the pro's???

Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Toefur
Professional

Sway bar end links...Im 99.99% sure that is your problem.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 PM
masshole
Professional

Originally Posted by Toefur
Sway bar end links...Im 99.99% sure that is your problem.
Never would've thought to think of that. What would be a good indicator or a test of some sort? Would there be any visual signs?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Toefur
Professional

They have a pivot like a ball joint...they wear out and make a clicking-knocking sound over sharp bumps....replace with Moog greaseable ones and they'll last way longer. As for checking them...un bolt them from the control arm and check the pivot on em....if they move loosely with little resistance they are shot. Check for damage to the rubber booots on em also. Hope this helps

Old 04-26-2009, 12:12 AM
hemidel
Professional

Try new shocks. Preferably a shock that is 2in. longer for the front to compensate for that new height.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
masshole
Professional

Originally Posted by hemidel
Try new shocks. Preferably a shock that is 2in. longer for the front to compensate for that new height.
What type of shocks do you suggest? Would anyone else have any other suggestions to my problem? I'm bringing it into the shop this Monday or Tues. the latest.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Tough Ram

I would go and try the sway bar end links. that is what i have to replace on my truck and i am having the same noise. that and they arent that expensive to replace either.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:43 PM
jimrcyr
Default new 2014 Journey struts make knocking sound

I bought a new Journey and it has less than 300 miles. The front end makes a knocking sound at low speed going over bumpy road. Not normal. Any suggestions?

Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

With a 2.5 inch leveling kit the stock shocks have become limiting straps for the front end. The knock is the shock reaching full extension when the wheel travels down an extra two inches more than the shock was designed to move.

I had the same issue. Loud knock over potholes and bumps when I installed my leveling kit. New shocks 2 inches longer corrected the problem.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:47 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jimrcyr
I bought a new Journey and it has less than 300 miles. The front end makes a knocking sound at low speed going over bumpy road. Not normal. Any suggestions?
I am sorry you are experiencing a knocking noise in the front end. I would recommend to contact the dealer for an appointment to diagnose the issue.

Quick Reply: Front-end Knocking noise?