3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EGR Question

Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGR Question

Hi, was hoping I could get some help.

My CEL came on and I had it checked out. Appears to be an EGR issue. I'd like to go ahead and replace it and found the great DIY guide on how to do it but for some reason I could not view the pictures that came with it, only a local upload text line. I was just curious if anyone has any pictures to help supplement this guide? I think I may know where it is but I'd hate to take apart something that shouldn't be taken apart. Any pictures of the right area would be great! I even have the Haynes repair manual and I can't even find any mention of the EGR anywhere in the book.

Here's the DIY link: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...m3rdGEN+123abc

Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

here ya go

Name:  SparkPlug001.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  51.9 KB

Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Ok thats what I thought. Thanks! Really appreciate your help

Old 12-27-2008, 10:27 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Alright, I was browsing through eBay looking to buy one of these and I found two of them. One is listed as a;

2006 TO 2007 5.7 LITER HEMI EGR VALVE MOPAR part # 53032509AL at $45 free shipping.

the other is;

DODGE RAM MOPAR EGR VALVE 5.7 HEMI 04 - 08 part # 53032509AM at $60 with the shipping

The difference in the part numbers are the last digit. Does anyone know if my 2004 Ram will accept the 53032509AL or do I need to buy the 53032509AM?

53032509AM = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...#ht_500wt_1860

53032509AL = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...#ht_992wt_1677

Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice picture and help!

You could have just bought the part and matched it up to all the parts on the engine for proper replacement....lol
That's how I learned when i was 16 and broke and had to fix things myself. I did that for everything including my first transmission replacement.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats an EGR? What does it do?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:14 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Exhaust Gas Recirculation

In a typical automotive spark-ignited (SI) engine, 5 to 15 percent of the exhaust gas is routed back to the intake as EGR. The maximum quantity is limited by the requirement of the mixture to sustain a contiguous flame front during the combustion event; excessive EGR in an SI engine can cause misfires and partial burns. Although EGR does measurably slow combustion, this can largely be compensated for by advancing spark timing. The impact of EGR on engine efficiency largely depends on the specific engine design, and sometimes leads to a compromise between efficiency and NOx emissions. A properly operating EGR can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is relatively minor compared to the first two.
It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via at least one more mechanism:

Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.
EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output. This is because it reduces the intake charge density. EGR is also omitted at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle.

I am not smart - I have Google.....

LOLOL

Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 AM
cnctony

Your explanation, or the one you found online, is very confusing. Heres a better explanation. The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve controls an engine’s emission of smog-causing nitrous oxides, or NOx. It routs a portion of the exhaust gases back into the intake manifold, which lowers head temperatures to below 2,500 degrees. EGR flow is controlled by the engine’s computer, which opens or closes the valve as needed by way of a modulator valve. If it gets clogged with carbon deposits, you’ll see your “check engine” light. A clogged EGR valve not only results in higher emissions, it can affect fuel economy and cause rough idling – even serious engine damage. The EGR can usually be cleaned, but replacement is often recommended.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JoeHemi
Alright, I was browsing through eBay looking to buy one of these and I found two of them. One is listed as a;

2006 TO 2007 5.7 LITER HEMI EGR VALVE MOPAR part # 53032509AL at $45 free shipping.

the other is;

DODGE RAM MOPAR EGR VALVE 5.7 HEMI 04 - 08 part # 53032509AM at $60 with the shipping

The difference in the part numbers are the last digit. Does anyone know if my 2004 Ram will accept the 53032509AL or do I need to buy the 53032509AM?

53032509AM = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...#ht_500wt_1860

53032509AL = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...#ht_992wt_1677
I would get the one that says it's for a 04 since you have a 04 but IMO I would get one from your local parts store, Advance, Oreilys or what ever is near you. That way if you happen to get the wrong one you can just take it back or you could take the old one off and take it with you to match up and make sure its right. I'm a big E-Bayer but there are certain things I think you shouldn't buy from there. Just my .02

Last edited by BEAR; 05-07-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR Question