3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Retainer Clip / "C-Clip" Woes

Old 05-13-2009, 01:39 PM
JY VPI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retainer Clip / "C-Clip" Woes

Add me to the club. Here's the background:

-Recently purchased 2003 1500 HEMI w/ the nasty 9.25 from previous owner
-No symptoms of differential probs
-Maintenance history fairly unknown

I brought the truck into the shop for a thorough maintenance, and with the rear diff service they gave me the bad news. Pieces of broken retainer clips sitting at the bottom, metal flakes, and the housing is worn down a few mm.

Looks like I'm in need of a full replacement (differential AND housing). Here are my options:

1.) Factory new rear end w/ 9.25 LSD --> same problem again is inevitable?
2.) Donor, used rear end w/ 9.25 LSD --> same problem again sooner?
3.) Donor, used open rear end w/ no LSD --> no more problems but no LSD

I have done as much reading as I can in the past 24 hours but haven't found a good answer for my questions, sorry.

Q: If I went with option #3 open differential replacement, can I get an aftermarket LSD like Auburn or Truetrac mated up to it or does it not work that way? What would you do in my situation?

Q: In the meantime, really how dangerous is it for me to be driving around?

Thanks,
JY

Last edited by JY VPI; 05-13-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Frustration
Old 05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Or, just get yourself a Detroit Truetrac. best $550 you'll ever spend and no more C-clip worries.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
JY VPI

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Or, just get yourself a Detroit Truetrac. best $550 you'll ever spend and no more C-clip worries.
Right, that's my first question above. It's gonna be $550 for the Truetrac, but also $X for the new housing. So instead of getting the factory housing & LSD, can I get a factory housing from an open differential (cheaper) and just put the Truetrac in there? Or does it not work like that.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 PM
JY VPI

Anyone at least know how dangerous it is to ride around (specifically hwy speeds) in its current condition?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Alpheus
Banned

Originally Posted by JY VPI
Right, that's my first question above. It's gonna be $550 for the Truetrac, but also $X for the new housing. So instead of getting the factory housing & LSD, can I get a factory housing from an open differential (cheaper) and just put the Truetrac in there? Or does it not work like that.
It will work if you have an open LSD. How bad is your housing? Is it leaking or cracked? Why do you need a new one???

Old 05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
JY VPI

Originally Posted by Alpheus
How bad is your housing? Is it leaking or cracked? Why do you need a new one???
As far as I could tell it was just worn down, but I really don't know what I'm looking at. My mech said the housing needed replacement. It didn't appear to be leaking or cracked though, just worn into by the jacked clips.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
JY VPI

Ok got some news from the shop. Here are the notes.

- New, OEM rear end + labor = $4000
- Used, OEM rear end + labor = $2300
- According to my VIN there is no option to get an open rear end, but they are double checking.
- After asking why the entire housing needs to be replaced, the reason was "due to the damage done by the clip that backed out where it wore into the housing. wouldn't be able to put in a new carrier w/ the damaged housing"

This sounds crazy to me. I have another appointment w/ a shop on Monday for them to check it out. He said that a rough estimate on a used rear end (if even needed) + labor would be closer to $1200.

So confused right now. What do you guys think? I know that w/o pictures of the damage done to the housing there's no way to tell whether or not I need a new one.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:36 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those first prices sound pretty steep! good thing your getting a second look by different shop.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 PM
toxdoc
Veteran

Let the guys that know on this forum help you with this one; for $4K you should be able to get a custom-made application. Sounds like they are trying to 'bail-out' Chrysler with "YOUR" REAR END!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
flwalks
Professional

Sounds like the same story a buddy of mine told me last week about his trany on his Chevy truck. Dealer told him he was out of warranty by 4k and it would be $2500 rebuilt or $3200 new factory for his transmission. Told them to put it back together and took it to a local mom and pop trany shop for a second opinion. Walked out with a bill for $88 and seams to be running great (for now). They told him the pan was never dropped at the dealer. He paid the dealer $150 dollars for them to give him a quote and they didn't even drop the pan?? I hope this dealer is on the GM chopping block next week. This is why dealers get a bad reputation.
By the way a used rear end should cost no more than $1500 installed and this is a little on the high side

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retainer Clip / "C-Clip" Woes