3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans temp gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure that he has that toggle switch so he can switch which sensor the gauge is reading off of so he can compare the temps at the two different points where he installed the senders. At least that is what I would think is going on, but I am just guessing based on his original post.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:42 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

oh ok i see the toggle switch now. one sensor is good for me though lol

Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You are right that he can only read one sensor at a time but that's why he has the two sensors wired to a switch (i assume a SPDT switch) so he can flip back and forth between which ever sensor he wants to read from at that time.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
draco8494
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda cool, i really want one for my truck, but im thinking about the guage pod that goes in your cubby hole under the radio

Old 05-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional

I bought the parts all from egauges.com. The black pod because it is the only color Autometer sells without buying the whole pillar. My dash is black and it looks pretty good. I have 2 sensors installed just because I had the compression fitting. I can only read from 1 sensor at a time.

I must add that I have the largest factory trans cooler offered. It is almost as big as the radiator!

Name:  DCP_7064.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  72.1 KB

Test results so far...

We did a short towing trip with the camper. I towed in 3rd and our camper is only around 5,000# and is a Jayco Featherlight EXP 232. Trans line temp only got to 150 and trans case was about 15-20 degrees cooler. This trip was only about 10 miles so it was not much of a test. This coming Friday we will be heading on a 3 hour trip up in the hills.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional

Went on another camping trip over Memorial weekend. Towed about 370 miles up into the Adirondack Mountains. Ran in 3rd the whole trip up and back. Camper tanks were all full...30 gallons fresh, 23 gal grey and 23 gal black (trying to clean sensors). Has 3 bikes on a rack in the rear, 1/3 bed of wood, coolers and all the gear for a family of 4 plus a black lab for a week! (My wife way over packs! ) I got right around 8 mpg. The highest I saw the cooler line temp get to was 195. That was climbing a fairly steep hill in 2nd at 60 mph. I don't baby her just because she's towing. On the interstate, the line temp hovered right around 165. I am very happy with these temps.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM
nathanp
Captain

Originally Posted by Lifted4x4Astro
I bought the parts all from egauges.com. The black pod because it is the only color Autometer sells without buying the whole pillar. My dash is black and it looks pretty good. I have 2 sensors installed just because I had the compression fitting. I can only read from 1 sensor at a time.

I must add that I have the largest factory trans cooler offered. It is almost as big as the radiator!

Test results so far...

We did a short towing trip with the camper. I towed in 3rd and our camper is only around 5,000# and is a Jayco Featherlight EXP 232. Trans line temp only got to 150 and trans case was about 15-20 degrees cooler. This trip was only about 10 miles so it was not much of a test. This coming Friday we will be heading on a 3 hour trip up in the hills.

are you talking about the cooler on the right hand side??? If so i thought thats for teh air conditioner, i think the little short skinny one ontop of the coolant rad is the tranny cooler... if im not mistaken

Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

Originally Posted by nathanp
are you talking about the cooler on the right hand side??? If so i thought thats for teh air conditioner, i think the little short skinny one ontop of the coolant rad is the tranny cooler... if im not mistaken
Think he means the one on the left.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional

Yes the one on the left looking at the front. It is in front of the coolant radiator and above the power steering cooler.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Lifted4x4Astro

Test results so far...

That trans cooler, was it orginally on the truck or did you pull it off a different truck? I will be needing one about that size to replace the one I have which by the looks of it is about 3" shorter than the one you have.

Quick Reply: Trans temp gauge install