3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram bed rust issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

We just spent a week on the beach and I noticed all kinds of vehicles that had rust on the bottom of the rockers. Im sure the frame and chassis was just as bad. Bottom line, everything no matter who makes it will rust.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did saturn make alot of plastic sided vehicles? I guess those didnt rust as bad, but when you see them in a crash in the winter time, they fall to pieces like humpty dumpty.......

All steel will rust, simple fact, Some companies cheap out on baseline paints yada yada. Ive got the clearcoat paint job on mine, and its help off alot of rush, but the frame has started to go, Alot of gravel in summer, and alot of sand and salt in the winter.

Its all in how you take care of your truck. I did the frame and wheel wells this summer. Wire brush, wire dremmel attachments, rust primers, black paint for frame, and rubberized asphault for the wells.

That alone probably gave my truck another 3 years help with the rusting, I just need to keep on it with the primer and paint on the frame. the body is doing good.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 AM
Xler8er
Rookie

www.southern-truck.com
where us michigan folk go..
my buddy just got a 96 bronco cab for$ 2000 mint,of coarse the sheet metal...Bed if I can remember $1000 and hell they might be able to get the same color if you give them time..

Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Xler8er
Rookie

http://www.southern-truck.com/
maybe this link will work if not just type in and you will connect.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Albertaramfan
Captain

Originally Posted by Windasman
I can tell you unequivocally that in the area I live-smack in the middle of the rust belt-Dodges most certainly DO rust out before Fords. My boss's 05 Dodge 1500 has been rusting since at least 08, along with about every other Dodge from that generation. My father's 96 Ford F250, with a lot harder life, has nowhere close to the rust. My 89 F250 has only a little more rust around the fenders. My bro-in-law's 04 F150 has no rust. My friend's 06 F150 has no rust. My 88 Bronco II has nowhere near the rust. Another bro-in-law's 04 Silverado has no rust. Another bro-in-law's[yes, I have lots of them] 05 Dodge 2500 has the rust. These are all people living in a 20 mile radius, and most of the trucks never see the inside of a garage, except my boss's Dodge, imagine that... Don't tell me a Ford, Chevy, or GMC rusts like the Dodge does. You've got Mopar infesting your brain, my friend.
Heck, I even like the Dodge trucks overall. But I won't have a tin can that can't stand up to an Indiana winter.
I can also tell you that my brothers 2011 F150 is rusting from the salt on the roads up here in canada @ 15k miles and my 05 Ram has been stripped twice and no signs of rust forming on any part @70ish so it has a lot to do with maintenance. Mine gets washed twice a week regardless of need. It has a lot more to do with maintaining than it does vehicle brand. Steel is steel and steel rusts, you can't go to another brand and hope they found magical steel that is rust proof because it does not exist

Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 AM
Windasman

Originally Posted by Albertaramfan
I can also tell you that my brothers 2011 F150 is rusting from the salt on the roads up here in canada @ 15k miles and my 05 Ram has been stripped twice and no signs of rust forming on any part @70ish so it has a lot to do with maintenance. Mine gets washed twice a week regardless of need. It has a lot more to do with maintaining than it does vehicle brand. Steel is steel and steel rusts, you can't go to another brand and hope they found magical steel that is rust proof because it does not exist
Ok, Mopar nut-whatever you have to tell yourself. But guess which truck out of all the ones I talked about is the only one that gets washed & waxed regularly? Yep, that's the one. And it still rusted out like hell. But you bet-it's just a fluke, right?

Last edited by Windasman; 08-05-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, just leave the forum.

You obviously have nothing to do here besides troll and revive an old thread that was already a year dead before you came along.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Windasman

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Dude, just leave the forum.

You obviously have nothing to do here besides troll and revive an old thread that was already a year dead before you came along.
Ah, but I caught you just fine, didn't I? If you don't want to keep it going, YOU leave.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:36 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

manufacturers warranty on rust perforation never out last the lifespan of the truck, so it's a given your going to rust with all the rusty recycled steel going back into the automotive food chain.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram bed rust issues