3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Horn on my 2003

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM
dmzjharr4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Horn on my 2003

Hey guys...
I just picked up 2003 1500 SLT yesterday. Love the truck...LOVE IT!
Anyway...I didnt really look to close at all the things I maybe should have. Well, the horn doesnt work, and they have it rigged to a push button UNDER the dash. I haven't had the truck 24 hours yet so I have yet to look at fuses/relays etc...I would say it is safe to assume the prior owner did and or even the dealer...but it is still hooked up to a button. What all is involved in repairing a horn so I dont have to reach down to push the button? Thanks.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:06 PM
dmzjharr4

Nevermind....I just found and downloaded the 2003 service manual. Thanks a million weedahoe for posting that!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM
twitchy
Professional

Congrats on the truck...

If your horn sounds anything like the horn in my 2000 Dakota, you would rather it not work anyway.

Honestly, when I hear the horn in my Dakota, I feel I should be wearing a pink tutu and dance slippers. I'm better off yelling "HOOOONK HOOOONK" out the window.

But I digress...

I would check the fuses first, to see if anything is blown.
Is there an aftermarket radio, or stock? if there's a stock, it's possible the previous owner changed it out and put it back in. If they did this incorrectly the IOD could have been blown which COULD affect other fuses (not guaranteed to affect but still possible)

As for restoring it to the steering wheel functionality, I'm not sure what would be involved in that, though I imagine it was either spliced in, or disconnected entirely in favor of the dash button. if it was spliced, that should be easy enough as the wires should be visible in the steering column somewhere.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Your welcome bro. It could also simply be the switch in the steering column. But since you have the manual now with all the wiring diagrams, it should be easier for you to track down now.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 PM
dmzjharr4

Originally Posted by twitchy
Congrats on the truck...

If your horn sounds anything like the horn in my 2000 Dakota, you would rather it not work anyway.

Honestly, when I hear the horn in my Dakota, I feel I should be wearing a pink tutu and dance slippers. I'm better off yelling "HOOOONK HOOOONK" out the window.

But I digress...

I would check the fuses first, to see if anything is blown.
Is there an aftermarket radio, or stock? if there's a stock, it's possible the previous owner changed it out and put it back in. If they did this incorrectly the IOD could have been blown which COULD affect other fuses (not guaranteed to affect but still possible)

As for restoring it to the steering wheel functionality, I'm not sure what would be involved in that, though I imagine it was either spliced in, or disconnected entirely in favor of the dash button. if it was spliced, that should be easy enough as the wires should be visible in the steering column somewhere.
Yeeeeeeahhhh...gotta find the fuse box first. LOL. Haven't had time to find everything yet.

I read in the manual that the horn "button" is molded into the airbag...so if I am correct, I should be able to swap out the center of the steering wheel, then trace the wires and restore to stock condition. That is of course the prior owner didn't "fix it" to bad. And trust me...there is more than enough wire coming from the horn button to under the hood. There is roughly 40' of wire all taped up in there and all around just for the horn.

Not to mention...there was an XM radio in it at one point. The antenna is still on the roof and there are 3 wires coming out of the dash. It is a stock radio, BUT...he added an amplifier and some other little component under the center from seat...dont know what it is. I did not see evidence of a PACll modual for that to have been done, but I still have not gotten behind the dash yet. I will give it a look see and go from there. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 PM
dmzjharr4

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Your welcome bro. It could also simply be the switch in the steering column. But since you have the manual now with all the wiring diagrams, it should be easier for you to track down now.
I hope. Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:56 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a chance that the truck had a aftermarket horn associated with the button and when they removed it they just used the button. Good luck.. This reminds me I have a 139db boat horn I need to install.

Quick Reply: Horn on my 2003