3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster Super 44 Impressions

Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Super 44 Impressions

After driving around with the truck for a couple of days with the new flowmaster super 44 dual exhaust system, I can make some remarks on the system to offer some input for guys looking to install an exhaust etc.

First off, I was immediately thrown off when I heard my truck start for the first time at the exhaust shop. I was in the waiting room, and I heard him start it up to take it out of the garage. I thought to myself, "That couldn't have been my truck." Turned out it was lol. So, I was a little caught off guard about the sound of the start-up compared to my previous 360ci ram. Driving around town, the system doesn't really have too much variation in sound with throttle. My '01 Ram had a ton of tone variation, you could just tap the throttle and it would give out a loud crackle. When it comes to driving by lines of traffic, the Hemi doesn't seem to reflect off the cars like my old systems used to do.

As for drone, both my '01 and my '05 drone pretty intensely, but the Hemi isn't quite as bad.

In final, I do like the Super 44 system on my newer truck quite a bit though. Although pound for pound it isn't nearly as aggressive and raspy as my '01 Ram was, it does sound extremely clean and "NASCAR'y". The great performance of the Hemi, and the superb refinement of the ride and drivetrain quality of the '05 supersede any benefits of the louder exhaust on my '01. In the meantime, I'm still reflecting on the intense drone my truck has shifting between gears. I don't mind the drone, but I could see myself getting a little uncomfortable at times when carrying passengers around. With this said, the truck and system have been getting tons of looks, and I can't wait to take some pictures and videos for you guys.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 AM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Mint! Yeah I love mine! CANT WAIT TO GET MY NEW TIPS AND 44 ON!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
HEMIBEAST57
Amateur

I love my flowmasters on my truck i always get compliments wherever i go. My favorite was "your trucks sounds like a train bro" i was at a red light haha =]

Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Nope! You dont want to do that! I did that and you dont want it! Right neon!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I guess I'm still a little indifferent about my exhaust system. I know it sounds nice, but it's just awkward to me. It starts up relatively quiet, and doesn't idle very loud either, however, it gets downright "droney" driving around town. I wasn't crazy about my 01 Ram droning either, but at least it was just a very loud system all around. I don't know...still a little unsure about it.

This is the drone I've been somewhat referring to:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JomORY9pO9Q

Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all fm drone but i dont really hear mine bc i always have the radio loud lol but if you still want louder...cutout!!!lol

Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I haven't tried it yet but I have read a few places that if you dump the pipes roght after the muffler it can help with the drone.

And yes if you want that truck to sound a hell of alot meaner, cutouts are the way to go.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my flowmaster is terrible, wish i never got it, cant wait for better weather to get rid of it and go back to cherry bomb. garbage

Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
theHemiBeast
Professional

Originally Posted by superdak05
my flowmaster is terrible, wish i never got it, cant wait for better weather to get rid of it and go back to cherry bomb. garbage
I agree. I had FMs too but now I have Cherry Bombs. I think the sound is way more aggressive and actually, I don't hear that much drone.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

The drone just minimizes the great ride of the truck. I'm even fine with how loud it is, but at least if it's going to be a little on the smooth side, I'd hope it'd have little drone. I won't go changing it right away since I just put it in, but I'm either thinking the 50 series or something that will be sound mean, but just won't drone as bad as this. I'm still just shocked as to why it sounds so quiet on cold starts, really boggles my mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flowmaster Super 44 Impressions