Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driver's side seat foam problems? I have the cure!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Send a message via AIM to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TheAverageJoe
Default Driver's side seat foam problems? I have the cure!

For any of you driving a 3rd Gen. Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, or 3500 and have had your driver's side seat foam fail you. I have the cure. If you have a Lowe's and a Hobby Lobby near you, it'll only cost you around $13.00 and a little skill rather than $152.00 for new foam from the dealer. Not to mention, that new foam is going to fail you just like the old one.

Here's what you'll find when you peal back the upholstery.

Click the image to open in full size.

While searching the web for an after market part or easy inexpensive fix, I came across this link in a Dodge Cummins Diesel forum.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-...98-seat-2.html

The frames of theses seats have a boxed frame that joins on the top of the frame and leaves an exposed sheet metal edge. This edge in addition to the sliding motion getting in and out of the trucks is tearing our foam.

Seat frame; notice the metal edge, but also notice the wires held by springs, more of that later.

The weld at the very back had some burrs, they may have started the tearing of the foam. I took a ball peen hammer, rolled the edge of the metal down, and then filed the burrs and any protrusion I thought might tear the foam.

Before reinstalling the foam, I glued some burlap over the frame. (Sorry no pic of that.)
(Burlap is approx. $2.99 a yard at Hobby Lobby. 1 yd will do 2 seats.)

For the wires with the springs, this is where the pad needs to go, directly on these springs. The springs are what provide the cushion when hitting bumps and stuff. The foam design intends to distribute the weight with out fatiguing your butt. (I donít think they quite got that part down yet.)

I used 2 inches of foam, 1 inch of 20 lb & 1 inch of 40 lb. I also place a piece of vinyl between the foam and the springs to prevent the springs / wire from tearing the foam. 20lb goes on top, it's softer.
(Hobby Lobby carries a 14"x14"x2" piece of foam that works perfectly. No cutting necessary.)
(Also, be sure to glue a piece of burlap to the bottom of the 2" foam. If you don't it'll start snowing under your seat from deterioration. The burlap strengthens it too.)

Pic just shows where it goes, doesnít include all the layers. Iíd get busy and forget to take pics.

All the tears Iíve seen, start along the bottom or the back corner, just like mine. I also noticed mine had a big air pocket where the mold wasnít filled correctly. Thatís exactly where the tear started.

I filled all the torn gaps with glue, (Weldwood landau top adhesive.) and pressed it back together. Then I glued several layers of thin burlap to the foam.
(Lowe's carries a spray on 3M water based adhesive...works great.)
http://www.shop3m.com/62497749309.html

The center of the seat will rise with the pad added between the frame and factory foam, while the sides stay the same height, this takes the pressure off the hips & or butt.

The edges at the frame are fairly thin because the factory cushion is molded to fit around the frame. To help offset these deficiencies, I added a Ĺ inch of foam to the outer and back panels.
(The 1" green foam at Hobby Lobby works just fine. You sit a little higher than you used to, but it'll settle in time.)

Pulled all back together, the seat has a slight ďpoofyĒ look, but itís a heck of a lot more comfortable, and should last much longer too.
(Mine looks like a pillow top mattress...and I love it.)

I give all the credit to "cntryby" of the Dodge Diesel Cummins Forum.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator

Vehicle: 2014 2500 CTD 4x4

Great write up, Joe. Your post has also been copied to the FAQ section as a DIY. Thank you...

Photo homage of my beloved old truck. Sold 8/2014
New ride: 2014 2500 CTD 4X4
Old 06-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Mega Cab SLT 4X4 Hemi

Thanks for the write-up. I know it's only a matter of time before I have to do exactly what you have shown. No matter how careful I am getting in and out, I know what's happening under that nice gray fabric.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

Good write up, I am glad it got posted to the FAQ section. I was considering eating less as a solution to my seat problem but I like your solution much better .
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: 03 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4

Thank you for the how-to. How long do the seats generally last before they wear out like that?

Silver Truck Club Member, Air Bag Suspension Club Member # 1: 3.92s, tow package, 20's, Goodyear Wrangler silent armors, Flowmaster 50 HD muffler, AEM Brute Force CAI, Rhino Spray-on liner, Go Rhino SideSteps, Leveling kit,mudflaps, air bag suspension helpers and a Dixie Horn. More Mods to Come!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Veteran

im sure this may have been discussed but will warranty cover this if you are still in your 3 year/36k miles?
Two Kicker Comp 10's
Rockford 301s Amp
LED Plate Lights
Silver Star Headlights

Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Captain

Very Good write up. This is the kinda stuff I need to know.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Moderate User

Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydog

Nice! Had to do this with my mustang seats. The sides were wiped.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Grand Champion

Vehicle: 04 4.7L QCSB
Send a message via Yahoo to BadHab1t

nice write up lots of info great idea will need this soon i fear as i think the prev owner was a lil hefty so maybe sooner than later thanx....
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
All Star

Vehicle: 04 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 SLT with the HEMI!!!

good write up i noticed my foam adge was looking a little low or flat and could always go with a more comfortable seat and how long did this take you to complete just for a time window
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 PM

Tags
barracuda, cherokee, covers, diy, dodge, driver, fix, foam, grand, inches, jeep, mustang, raise, ram, seat