3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Driver's side seat foam problems? I have the cure!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
TheAverageJoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side seat foam problems? I have the cure!

For any of you driving a 3rd Gen. Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, or 3500 and have had your driver's side seat foam fail you. I have the cure. If you have a Lowe's and a Hobby Lobby near you, it'll only cost you around $13.00 and a little skill rather than $152.00 for new foam from the dealer. Not to mention, that new foam is going to fail you just like the old one.

Here's what you'll find when you peal back the upholstery.

While searching the web for an after market part or easy inexpensive fix, I came across this link in a Dodge Cummins Diesel forum.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-...98-seat-2.html

The frames of theses seats have a boxed frame that joins on the top of the frame and leaves an exposed sheet metal edge. This edge in addition to the sliding motion getting in and out of the trucks is tearing our foam.

Seat frame; notice the metal edge, but also notice the wires held by springs, more of that later.

The weld at the very back had some burrs, they may have started the tearing of the foam. I took a ball peen hammer, rolled the edge of the metal down, and then filed the burrs and any protrusion I thought might tear the foam.

Before reinstalling the foam, I glued some burlap over the frame. (Sorry no pic of that.)
(Burlap is approx. $2.99 a yard at Hobby Lobby. 1 yd will do 2 seats.)

For the wires with the springs, this is where the pad needs to go, directly on these springs. The springs are what provide the cushion when hitting bumps and stuff. The foam design intends to distribute the weight with out fatiguing your butt. (I don’t think they quite got that part down yet.)

I used 2 inches of foam, 1 inch of 20 lb & 1 inch of 40 lb. I also place a piece of vinyl between the foam and the springs to prevent the springs / wire from tearing the foam. 20lb goes on top, it's softer.
(Hobby Lobby carries a 14"x14"x2" piece of foam that works perfectly. No cutting necessary.)
(Also, be sure to glue a piece of burlap to the bottom of the 2" foam. If you don't it'll start snowing under your seat from deterioration. The burlap strengthens it too.)

Pic just shows where it goes, doesn’t include all the layers. I’d get busy and forget to take pics.

All the tears I’ve seen, start along the bottom or the back corner, just like mine. I also noticed mine had a big air pocket where the mold wasn’t filled correctly. That’s exactly where the tear started.

I filled all the torn gaps with glue, (Weldwood landau top adhesive.) and pressed it back together. Then I glued several layers of thin burlap to the foam.
(Lowe's carries a spray on 3M water based adhesive...works great.)
http://www.shop3m.com/62497749309.html

The center of the seat will rise with the pad added between the frame and factory foam, while the sides stay the same height, this takes the pressure off the hips & or butt.

The edges at the frame are fairly thin because the factory cushion is molded to fit around the frame. To help offset these deficiencies, I added a ½ inch of foam to the outer and back panels.
(The 1" green foam at Hobby Lobby works just fine. You sit a little higher than you used to, but it'll settle in time.)

Pulled all back together, the seat has a slight “poofy” look, but it’s a heck of a lot more comfortable, and should last much longer too.
(Mine looks like a pillow top mattress...and I love it.)

I give all the credit to "cntryby" of the Dodge Diesel Cummins Forum.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/

Old 06-04-2009, 04:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Great write up, Joe. Your post has also been copied to the FAQ section as a DIY. Thank you...

Old 06-04-2009, 07:48 PM
leebo1082

Thanks for the write-up. I know it's only a matter of time before I have to do exactly what you have shown. No matter how careful I am getting in and out, I know what's happening under that nice gray fabric.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up, I am glad it got posted to the FAQ section. I was considering eating less as a solution to my seat problem but I like your solution much better .

Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 PM
all of 75
Veteran

Thank you for the how-to. How long do the seats generally last before they wear out like that?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 PM
damien1023
Veteran

im sure this may have been discussed but will warranty cover this if you are still in your 3 year/36k miles?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Mystro
Captain

Very Good write up. This is the kinda stuff I need to know.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! Had to do this with my mustang seats. The sides were wiped.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

nice write up lots of info great idea will need this soon i fear as i think the prev owner was a lil hefty so maybe sooner than later thanx....

Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star

good write up i noticed my foam adge was looking a little low or flat and could always go with a more comfortable seat and how long did this take you to complete just for a time window

Quick Reply: Driver's side seat foam problems? I have the cure!