3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

A/C troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also make sure your a.c. compressor is running when you are checking the pressure....and when filling !

Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 AM
fullarmor613
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my 03, I have changed the fan relay and the fan assembly, I have power to the relay and the fuse box I have replaced the fuse also. on occasion the fan will turn very slow not fast enough to do any good,
Any thoughts

Old 07-03-2011, 08:18 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fullarmor613
I have the same issue with my 03, I have changed the fan relay and the fan assembly, I have power to the relay and the fuse box I have replaced the fuse also. on occasion the fan will turn very slow not fast enough to do any good,
Any thoughts

This thread goes back a bit so let me see if I can help you.

ANYTIME you have warm air blowing at idle and cold when moving means your condensor is clogged.
As for not having full High on your fan settings. I think you need a new control panel. That 3 button heat/ac control panel under the radio. High all the time means a variable resistor went bad. Only Low, means the control switch unit is the problem. Rarely ever is it something else.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:28 PM
fullarmor613

It does not run on a low setting it ran about 1/4 speed for maybe 10 seconds after I changed the fan and the relay.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
This thread goes back a bit so let me see if I can help you.

ANYTIME you have warm air blowing at idle and cold when moving means your condensor is clogged.
As for not having full High on your fan settings. I think you need a new control panel. That 3 button heat/ac control panel under the radio. High all the time means a variable resistor went bad. Only Low, means the control switch unit is the problem. Rarely ever is it something else.
Originally Posted by fullarmor613
It does not run on a low setting it ran about 1/4 speed for maybe 10 seconds after I changed the fan and the relay.
There's a variable resistor that RESTRICTS speed. When this goes bad, you only have high speed. If you can't get medium, med-high or high,(meaning only low works) then your control switch is likely bad. I'd be very surprised if the variable resistor failed in a low operation only. Generally that would mean water damage.

Sounds like maybe a pinched wire somewhere's. Just because you have power at the relay doesn't mean it's getting to the fan. You can have 12v reading on a 32guage wire, heck, even a 1,000guage wire but you certainly can't run 20A+ of current through that thin wire to turn the blower fan. A pinched wire can restrict current which in turn restricts the speed output. The wire can get very hot and the connections tend to arch. This is why components fail even when not recieving enough power.
You can test the fan output with a dummy light. Most import dome light bulbs draw loads of current. Take the highest rated 12v bulb and use the blower wire to light it up. If it fails to light or appears dim, then you have a pinched wire.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-03-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
gsorge
Default Other A/C issue

I know my condenser fan isn't working and I was getting cold air when moving then warm air when stopped. But just recently, I stopped getting cold air completely and a strange smell comes out of the vents when I try the A/C. I had the compressor checked along with getting the Freon charged and was told that isn't the problem. However, the shop wasn't able to pinpoint what was wrong. I'd like to know what may be causing this before investing in the new condenser fan and would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:59 PM
cd36c
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what is involved in a compressor check, but do you know if the compressor is coming on and it isn't cooling, or is it not coming on at all? Also, have you replaced your condenser fan? It will be tough to troubleshoot if that isn't working.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:55 PM
gsorge

I haven't replaced the condenser fan yet. The A/C was blowing cold when the truck was moving but now isn't. According to the place that charged my A/C, my compressor is kicking on and off and they didn't think that was the problem. It was at closing time, but they still looked for other reasons for no cold air and didn't figure it out. There is also the smell that developed at the same time the A/C stopped blowing cold air.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:19 PM
cd36c
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you feel the line going to the evaporator under the hood get cold when the compressor kicks on? Good luck on checking it with the vehicle moving though.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
km04

2005 ram 3500 a/c fan stopped blowing. Removed blower checked with aux 12 volts ran fine. Checked power at plug 11.9 volts with ignition on and rheostat set at high 12.23 volts. Removed ignition start switch no corrosion or burnt wiring. Still not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: A/C troubleshooting