3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help replacing a Carrier Bearing

Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 PM
GodsDsipl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help replacing a Carrier Bearing

I have an 05 2500 4x4 Long Bed and I am getting a vibration between 15 and 35 mph. I had a mechanic look at it and he told me that I need a new carrier bearing. Where is the best place to buy one? What is involved in and what do I need to do to replace it?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GodsDsipl
I have an 05 2500 4x4 Long Bed and I am getting a vibration between 15 and 35 mph. I had a mechanic look at it and he told me that I need a new carrier bearing. Where is the best place to buy one? What is involved in and what do I need to do to replace it?

First off, what is he referring to as a carrier bearing? A bearing that's inside the rear end or a carrier bearing that supports the driveshaft? Unless he physically looked at the bearings or measured endplay with the diff. cover off.
Those are very costly to have done.
A carrier support bearing for driveshafts....I wasn't aware the Ram had one. Those are generally on the Foreign trucks.

Your U-joints are a common problem at those speeds. Does the sound pulsate or is it only there when you let off the gas or just touch the gas? If it pulsates, then most likely you need new u-joints. If you have steady vibration when you let off or just touch the gas, you have internal differential issue's.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
GodsDsipl

It continues after I let off the gas. It is strongest between 15 to 35 mph and it gone bestween 40 and 60 or before 15. After 60 it is a very small vibration. We checked the u-joints and they appear to be tight. What could it be in the differential?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Long Bed Heavy Duty trucks do have what we often refer to as a carrier bearing, the FSM refers to it as the center bearing, and there is a procedure for replacement.

I don't see any mileage listed for your 2500, but mine has 105K on it now, I replaced all my driveline u-joints on mine this past weekend. It was a Pain In The ***!!! The double cardigan gave my fits--took 4 times of disassembly--assembly before I got it right. I have the short bed version and do not have the center bearing. If you do decide to approach this on your own, I strongly suggest doing all your u-joints, get greasable ones--the are made by federal-mogul and are available at NAPA under the precision brand. The front yoke joint is one of the toughest I have ever encountered for pushing out the old bearing caps. I has the plastic injected retainer ( much like a staked u-joint---no clips to remove). I ended up cutting out the cross with a 41/2" grinder and a cutting wheel then was able to push each cap out individually.

I would assume that the center bearing is available at napa also, plus new clamps for the slip yoke you will have to pull apart in order to change the center bearing.

Good Luck, lets us know how it goes---Glad mine are done--so is my wife, I can be unbearable at times like that

Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
The Long Bed Heavy Duty trucks do have what we often refer to as a carrier bearing, the FSM refers to it as the center bearing, and there is a procedure for replacement.
FSM= Ford Service Manual?? LOL!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what a "FORD SERVICE MANUAL" is, the last FORD I owned was in the early to late 70's a 1967 big block ford mustang GT Fastback--wish I still had it, but unfortunatley, it went up in flames due to a cut fuel line and an electric (dupree) fuel pump. Rompum Stompum Big Power Fun-----You know what they say--"There's no replacement for DISPLACEMENT"

FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL-----JUST IN CASE YOU WEREN'T SURE-- :0)!!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 PM
tomdel45
Amateur

how do i remove the center bearing from a 1997 dodge ram 4x4 pick up? i droppen the drive shaft but can not get the center bearing off of shaft.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 PM
coastierider
Rookie
Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 PM
FORANE
Amateur
Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 PM
deeepsno

I was told that I need to replace the rear carrier and bearings for my 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 1 ton pickup. What all does that entail?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help replacing a Carrier Bearing