3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gas leaks out when filling up

Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM
blue thunder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that this is not only my problem and for the record i tryed everything to try and not spill gas out.I think that it has something to do with that little steal flap that is on the inside of most cars/trucks to stop people from putting stuff in the tank and for some reason it is not kicking off the pump in time to click off the trigger.If we all complain to our dealers then mybe they will do something about it.I am sending chrysler a letter about this problem,because before you know it we will all need paint touch up under the gas cap.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 PM
blue thunder

i see that i am not the only one with this problem,I tryed everthing posibile to try and not spill the gas.It think it may have something to do with the tank not holding the pressure to click off the trigger before it spills.I wounder if that little steal flap thats not there has something to do with it.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Toefur
Professional

yea mine does it too. I learned the hard way...1st time I filled it up It spit gas all over the side...now I just stop when the pump 1st clicks off.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Have not had the problem with the truck, but have had it in the past. Because of it, I got in the habit of never "topping off" after the pump clicks off. I always pay with a C.C. anyway, so I could care less if it stops at like $47.73...
where are fillin up at?!?! either gas is super cheap, your take is uber small, or you fill up after half tank. it costs me almost $70 to fill up...

Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Mine does it too and i'm bringing it in next week for that and a list of other crap. And no I don't top it off...there's no need to when it spills all over just from filling it up.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by blue thunder
i see that i am not the only one with this problem,I tryed everthing posibile to try and not spill the gas.It think it may have something to do with the tank not holding the pressure to click off the trigger before it spills.I wounder if that little steal flap thats not there has something to do with it.
hmmmmm

Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 AM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
where are fillin up at?!?! either gas is super cheap, your take is uber small, or you fill up after half tank. it costs me almost $70 to fill up...
70 to fill? do you have the bigger tank? for me its around 50 to fill.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
LOL! I was thinkin the exact same thing. I think he fills it up as soon as it hits the 3/4 mark.

I think all short beds come with the 25 gallon tanks and long beds have the 35 gallon tanks. Might be wrong though.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:39 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short beds come with the 26 gallon tank standard, but the 34 gallon was an option on most models.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:13 AM
thebean
Professional

I've got five gas stations that I choose from on my commute when I need to fill up. Three of them, all on major highways, have fast pumps. If I let them run full bore until my tank is full, the pump clicks off, then there's a hiss for about a second that spits a mist of gas on my hand and shoulder, followed by about a quarter cup of gas running down the side of my truck. Pisses me off, particularly when I'm on my way to work and can't change into a fresh shirt before interfacing with other people. I usually fill up when I'm running on fumes, so to avoid the fiasco, I back the pump off by one click at about 21 gallons, then stand back until a few seconds after the pump shuts off. So far that's worked for me. There are other threads in this forum where folks said their tank was replaced by the dealer, I seem to recall that fixed the problem. It's a vehicle emissions issue, so I'd imagine the dealer would be quite accommodating, but maybe that's just in the Republic of California. I'm just going to live with the problem since I don't want the dealership touching my truck unless the problem is serious.

At a few pennies under $3/gal for 87 it costs me about $70 to fill.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gas leaks out when filling up