3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

5.7 L Hemi Electronic Throttle Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 PM
hemi jeep
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put a 2005 truck 5.7 hemi in a cj7. It has a 4500 manual tranny behind it. Last year I would lose my gas pedal when I would drive it all day in both off roads and on road conditions. I have replaced the throttle body and pedal and it still did it. Would this be a ecm problem. I would have to turn the key off and restart it and it would be fine until the next time. When it did it the first time I was at a event in Denver Colorado and I took it to a jeep dealer and he scanned it and didnt see any codes that would be indictive of a problem. Does any one have any ideas as where to look. Im about ready to get a new ecm for this. As the previous post it is a bit unnerving to have this happen in the mountains or on the highway. Thanks for any help

Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 PM
hemi jeep
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

added to the previous post, the engine would never die it would just idle until I restarted it.

The following users liked this post:
martjd (10-20-2019)
Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Could be a bad connection somewhere and it loses a signal just long enough to default to idle or possibly the PCM. You might check all of the pins in the PCM plug for corrosion and or bent/pushed back pins.

The following users liked this post:
martjd (10-20-2019)
Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgs_fan31
I would if I wasnt 700 miles from home along side the road, lol. was just seeing if anyone had an idea without doing that. But, thank you for the reply, and btw is there a way to post this as a new thread and not a reply to another???
You can just turn the key on and off 3 times fast to get the codes in the odometer.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM
mfinnerty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem.... vehicle shuddered, performance went downhill. Never have figured out what the problem was. It finally cleared up on it's own.

Also had the problem with it seeming like the tranny was low on fluid.

Codes P-2175 and P-2106 were displayed indicating air restriction and MAP sensor failure. It also stated that the TPS failed. I find out later that my 2003 Ram 1500 Hemi does not have a TPS. No restriction found in air box or anywhere in front of the throat of the intake.

Are there no fixes for these problems?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:59 PM
jrholt

Originally Posted by Macs04Ram
it has happen to me once, but a few weeks later i found out a squirrel made its nest under my hood and chewed some wires after i fixed them i haven had the problem
Sorry to bring up an old post but after doing some searching on the internet and finding multiple possible causes for this problem I saw the above post and thought to myself, "ahh... there is no way that it could be that".

Well guess what? That IS exactly what happened to my truck!

Damn squirrles! The squirrel didn't actually make a nest, not yet, but it did leave a few acorns on top of the intake manifold for me to clean up.

Of course the stupid squirrel had to chew through two wires leading to the throttle which caused the idle to surge about a thousand rpm up and down.

I soldered the wires back together and sealed it back up with electrical tape and all is good now

Just thought I would share my story with everyone because I guess you never know what can happen

Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

And some people think those damn tree rats are cute.

Me-> <- Tree rat.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 PM
jrholt

LOL! Yea that's right!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, I had an Olds Delta 88 that sat outside over winter once and next spring i had all kinds of problems from rats or squirrels

Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
tuckerc4
Default ETC problem on long trips

I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 w/ the hemi. I have a problem but only on long trips. After driving a long time the etc (electronic throttle control) light comes on and performance is terrible. I then must pull over disconnect the battery cables to reset the computer , and then it is fine. This only happens when I go on long trips with multiple hours of continuous driving. Never happens driving locally. I can't hook it up to a computer reader because I am usually a long ways from home. It has done this on every long trip for a while now with no lasting affects, but I dont want to push my luck and have it go totally out. Someone else had had the exact same problem and posted on here a few years ago, but I didn't see an answer. Any suggestions? Anyone else have the same problem and find a solution?

Quick Reply: 5.7 L Hemi Electronic Throttle Problem?