3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 5.7 4x4 Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
ShotGunWillie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 5.7 4x4 Question...

This is my first post, so let me start off by saying Hi all!!! I have been in the market for a Dodge Ram for quite some time and I think I have finally nailed down exactly what I am looking for as far as basic make and model. But I have several questions, which I have posted on other forums, but I need as much information before I make this BIG plunge.

I am looking at buying a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4wd with the 5.7. I cannot afford an 09' at this time and 08' are just as high in price. But I am looking at 07's which are around 20k, with lower mileage. Here are my questions.

1. Do all 2007 Ram 1500s with the 5.7 come equipped with the MDS System? I have heard that some models in 2007 are not equipped with the MDS.

2. I am looking for a full size truck with 4wd, this being considered I also have to consider fuel economy because this will be a daily commuter. Realistically, not according to the EPA, what should I expect from such a large engine? I live in North Texas, not the Rocky Mountains.

3. Does the MDS have the potential to get better MPGs than the 5.3 GM has or the 4.7 of Dodge?

4. How can I tell if the MDS is working or not? Is there something aftermarket that can be added for ignorant people like myself?

5. I don't need a HEMI, I don't pull that much, maybe a boat during hunting season or a trailer every now and then, but not regularly. Should I just go to a 4.7 and call it even? The 4wd is just cause its better to have it and not need it....

6. Rear end axle ratio, 3.55, 3.92, 4.10?? I have heard that if you are not hauling that much (which I won't be doing often, mainly during duck season) the 3.55 will provide the best fuel economy, but then I heard the 3.92 provides that, so confused.

7. Mods that will have an immediate impact on the mpgs. What is available right away to start off with, like K&N CAI system, or flow master exhaust (although I have heard that a flowmaster does nothing for mpgs). I have tuners affect diesels mainly not gasoline motors.

8. Do you have to run higher octane fuel through the HEMI?

I don't want to buy a truck that I am pouring gas into everyday, I will be pulling at times, a V6 is not an option.....

Any help would be great, any advice, any pointers, anything like that. I have just read some horror stories about people averaging 10 mpgs on average and crap like that. The majority of my drive, probably 95 percent is HWY, and I don't really have a lead foot, at least I don't think so.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

1. Yes except for the mega cabs

2.From what i've seen on here the average for a quad cab 4x4 is around 14 city/19 highway...depending on driving habits. Some claim higher some lower..it varies.

3.My old 99 5.3 got worse mileage than my ram...the 4.7 guys claim a little better mpg but not enough to justify the lack of power IMO unless it's an 08+ 4.7

4.There is or at least was a do-it-yourself in the DIY section to install a led light showing when it's in MDS. Before I tuned mine out I could always tell just from the feel of the truck...even before the exhaust.

5.It's your call but the mpg will be about the same with the hemi and your resale will be better with it...and easier to sell if you ever get rid of it.

6.Hwy mpg will be less with higher gears (lower numbers) but your city will be about the same due to less load on the engine with lower gears (higher number).

7.Tuners do help gassers just not near what they do for diesels...you will see improvement in power, shifting and mpg. With me I noticed better mpg with the magnaflow (straight-through muffler) and actually lost a little with the "hemi hat" removed. Go figure..

8. Dodge says 87 is "ok" and 89 is "recommended"...if you get a tuner you must use higher octane to prevent detonation. On the stock rich tune I use to run 87 and it was fine.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I believe so but it can be turned off with a handheld tuner so it doesnt really matter and it will also help you with mpg's since you will be driving on the highway
2. The 5.7 will get about 16-18 on the highway i dont know what it will get with MDS
3.Yes you are running 4 cylinders instead of 8
4.With some after market exhaust systems people say there is a sound difference but with stock exhaust you are fine.
5.If you really dont need the extra power then you should be looking at the 4.7 but I have heard that you really get the same mpg's anyway they arent that much more efficent
6.go with 3.92's they help the engine work a lot easier and you will get the same mpg and have some more ump in the pedal for when you do want it
7.CAI exhaust tuner are all things that will help in a minor way
the HEMI does say to run 89 but it will work on 87

Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I believe so but it can be turned off with a handheld tuner so it doesnt really matter and it will also help you with mpg's since you will be driving on the highway
2. The 5.7 will get about 16-18 on the highway i dont know what it will get with MDS
3.Yes you are running 4 cylinders instead of 8
4.With some after market exhaust systems people say there is a sound difference but with stock exhaust you are fine.
5.If you really dont need the extra power then you should be looking at the 4.7 but I have heard that you really get the same mpg's anyway they arent that much more efficent
6.go with 3.92's they help the engine work a lot easier and you will get the same mpg and have some more ump in the pedal for when you do want it
7.CAI exhaust tuner are all things that will help in a minor way
the HEMI does say to run 89 but it will work on 87

Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 AM
ShotGunWillie

What is the difference between the 07' and 08' 4.7l?

So if I keep everything stock with the HEMI it should get about the same mpgs as the 4.7l?

I just want to make sure I buy the right truck and get everything I need and want.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
dunerider650
Veteran

fuel milage for a fact will not be as good as a 5.3l GM...i could go all night and day wide open with my 5.3l....but the 5.7 isnt bad just have to be easier on it when your pulling or stomping on the hemi motor it sucks gas pretty bad but cruising its good. MDS doesnt make a diff anyways i had mine on since i got it and just last saturday i dissabled it and its been exactly the same since fuel up the same and it costs the same.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:20 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ShotGunWillie
What is the difference between the 07' and 08' 4.7l?

So if I keep everything stock with the HEMI it should get about the same mpgs as the 4.7l?

I just want to make sure I buy the right truck and get everything I need and want.
Got bumped from 235 to 310hp 330lbs....heads, compression, not sure if the cams specs are the same.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
ShotGunWillie

So would the 4.7 now pull a boat or trailer with little or no difficulty? I don't pull that much I am just looking for the most truck for my money and keeping in mind that the MDS is advertised and sold as more fuel efficient and I like the idea of cruising possibly bringing the mpgs up due to 4 cyl operating and I hwy drive more than anything.

Shopping for trucks can prove to be a headache.

I have learned that if I was looking for a GM 5.3, I would be getting a year or two older vehicle, with more miles on it, less options, for the same price as a better equipped lower mileage Dodge.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
cmherrmann

I just bought a 07 quad 4X4 with the 5.7. I use it just like you would, daily commuter and to pull my boat on the weekends and hunting. I traded in my 2000 ram 4X4 extended cab with the 5.2 318 engine. The 07 gets way better mileage and pulls like a dream, the Hemi is awesome!

I get 21 to 22 on the highway running 65 mph. Pulling my boat on the highway I get about 15 to 16. Around town I get about the same 14 to 15 if I keep my foot out of it which is hard to do.

Get the 5.7 because if you don't you will be kicking yourself for getting the smaller engine without any real difference in mileage and possibly worse mileage when towing.

Look for one with 30,000 or less and being a Dodge Certified Vehicle, this will give you 39 months 39,000 mile bumper to bumper and 6 year 80,000 mile Drive Train warranty at no extra charge.

Almost forgot, get the Big Horn Package!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ShotGunWillie
So would the 4.7 now pull a boat or trailer with little or no difficulty? I don't pull that much I am just looking for the most truck for my money and keeping in mind that the MDS is advertised and sold as more fuel efficient and I like the idea of cruising possibly bringing the mpgs up due to 4 cyl operating and I hwy drive more than anything.

Shopping for trucks can prove to be a headache.

I have learned that if I was looking for a GM 5.3, I would be getting a year or two older vehicle, with more miles on it, less options, for the same price as a better equipped lower mileage Dodge.
The 310hp 4.7 should have no problem with a boat. If you look on dodges site it'll show you engine dyno charts and the 4.7 actually has a flatter torque curve with more torque earlier in the powerband.

With my experiences with GM their trucks come standard with more options...like onStar, tire pressure sensors, lights under the hood and glove box, electric engine fans(depending on year) all standard.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 5.7 4x4 Question...