3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake pad spacing

Old 07-25-2009, 07:38 PM
MontanaRAM
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad spacing

i looked at my calipers and rotors today to see if my rotors are warped and see that my brake pad is touching my rotor all the time, how much space should there be between the pad and the caliper? i confirmed my rotors are warped and since the pad is touching, i believe my caliper must be worn out as well. i'm not familiar with disc brakes, all i've ever had were drum brakes. can anyone help me with this?

Old 07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is not a noticeable space between the pad and the rotor you should be able to easily turn the rotor without much resistance. If there is the your caliper is not releasing and you will need to try cleaning or rebuilding the caliper

Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

And in other words, the pads should always be touching the rotor but not binding to it. As said above, it should still turn freely.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pads work on a "floater" arrangement.
The pads should litterally "float" above your rotor.
When you turn your rotor by hand, it should as mentioned earlier rotate freely.
What can and normally does happen, is dust, dirt, grime and rust (yes all of those) can cause the caliper pistons from freely moving in the calipers.
Dismantle your pads and calipers.
Clean all the crap away from the pads and pistons in the calipers using wire brushes and brake cleaner solvents. There are rubber boots over the pistons so be careful when you clean them. Don't cut or damage these boots.
These boots are designed to tighlty fit around the brake pistons to stop water ingress into the brake pistons/bores
Check and make sure these piston boots are not damaged. Water can enter here and cause rust which will stop the pistons from retracting back into the caliper.
Also, make SURE your caliper sliding bolts are free.
A lot of people do a brake job and forget to clean and inspect these puppies.
These sliders, are what allow your pads/calipers to "float" over the rotors.
Whan all this is done and you have greased the sliders and what not using the correct grease etc, re-assemble the caliper and do the other side.
Use a torque wrench when doing this. On my 03 Hemi, the caliper sliders are 32 N-m/24 ft/lbs and the main caliper adaptor bolts are 176N-m/130ft/lbs.
Remember to unscrew your brake resovouir as well.
Hope all this helps?
Al.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake pad spacing