3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vacuum Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
bdiddy80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Leak

I have a 2003 Dodge 1500 SLT with the 5.7 Hemi. My check engine light is on. I took my truck to Auto Zone and had them to do a diagnostic check. They told me that I had a vacuum leak. The Fuel level needle is acting crazy and I hear a hissing sound right after I turn off the engine but other than that the truck runs fine. The code Auto Zone they gave me was PO456.
How would I be able to troubleshoot and fix this myself ?

Last edited by bdiddy80; 07-26-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:02 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

What's going on with it...symptoms, codes? Why do they think you have a vac leak?

Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
What's going on with it...symptoms, codes? Why do they think you have a vac leak?
Yeah, you got to give more info for us to help.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM
bdiddy80

My truck isnt really doing anything. The Fuel level needle is acting crazy and I hear a hissing sound right after I turn off the engine but other than that the truck runs fine. I took my truck to Auto Zone and they did a diagnostic check. The code they gave me was PO456.

Last edited by bdiddy80; 07-26-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
matt1048

I have the same truck and year. My light has come on before, and then went out after a while. The check engine light came back on tonight. Last time Autozone told me vacuum leak too. They said the first thing to do is replace the fuel cap. I'm going to take it to O'Riely tomorrow and see if they tell me the same thing. I'll reply back with thier results. Seems to run fine. When I got out and stood next to it for several minutes while running, I did notice a slight "stutter" in the idle once. It kind of ran rough for just a moment. The lights started to dim like it was going to die, and then just kept idling like nothing happened. I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but same truck, problem, etc, I didn't want to start a duplicate. My truck is grey. If yours is too then maybe we are driving the same truck! We can go halvsies on the repair

Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bdiddy80
My truck isnt really doing anything. The Fuel level needle is acting crazy and I hear a hissing sound right after I turn off the engine but other than that the truck runs fine. I took my truck to Auto Zone and they did a diagnostic check. The code they gave me was PO456.
Where's the hissing sound coming from? It could just be your a/c pressure equalizing. That code is usually a loose/bad gas cap but could also be a leak in the EVAP system. After replacing the gas cap crawl under the truck and check around the fuel tank....you'll see a black box next to the tank. Check the lines for cracks or if they're hanging off completely.

What's your fuel gauge doing?

Quick Reply: Vacuum Leak