3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram 1500 Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
tcalcagno
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all good advice my friends.. maybe I will knock back a few cold ones and spend a little quality time with the ole truck this weekend.
Thanks for the help!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
well ive got a pump sitting out in the shop with your name on it.

Dog, what plugs do you recommend?

Really, any copper plug will do. Copper is a great conductor so it's tough to screw the plugs up....lol Just make sure it's a plug thta fits your engine.

I ran strictly NGK coppers on my Mustang, but I had that custom tuned and you never want to change a plug once your properly tuned. Many guys ran Autolites and got the same results. With that said, There's nothing wrong with going NGK, Autolite or any major brand basic copper plug that costs $2.
I wouldn't get any Platinum tipped plugs or Iridium plugs. Going against manufacturer recomendations can cause problems. Without getting into too much depth. All 3 plugs burn differently. Well, they react differently in different situations to put it better. There'a a reason
1. yes because they are cheap.
2. copper provide a better spark with a smaller gap which allows less voltage to be sent to the plugs. being that Chrysler uses 16plugs means a lot of voltage is to be needed to fire all the plugs. Little is better in this case.

If you do decide to go with any Platinum plugs(generate less spark for the same gap because of materials that last longer or get splitfire plugs or whatever the case may be), THE GAP must be opened up more than the reccomended plug gap by the factory. So if the gap is suppose to be .044" A platinum plug should be run at .050-.052" to maintain the same spark as a copper. This doesn't mean that the vehicle can handle the higher voltage so that there isn't any spark blowout(blowout is when revving at higher rpms, there isn't enough voltage to keep the plug firing. Most cases this mean the gap is too large and needs to be reduced) Spark blowout is common in FI applications due to the higher pressures.

If you've heard the term, wider gap runs hotter??? That means more voltage is runing to the plug because of the gap. So essentially, a Platinum plug requires more voltage(wider gap) to make the same power as a copper plug.

Champion is the reccommended plug for Dodge/Chrysler Apps, but it's just the same as NGK or autolites IMO.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
daddy mopar
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default loss of power

changed fuel pump! now cant go over 2g rpm or it boggs and if i try to go over it wants to shut down but if im in park or nutruel it revs perfect.taking any info to as y my truck is doing this????

The following users liked this post:
John Sloan (04-06-2021)
Old 03-08-2015, 09:19 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daddy mopar
changed fuel pump! now cant go over 2g rpm or it boggs and if i try to go over it wants to shut down but if im in park or nutruel it revs perfect.taking any info to as y my truck is doing this????
Before you did that, did you test your fuel pressure at the port on the fuel rail to see what it was?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:53 PM
John Sloan
Default 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Before you did that, did you test your fuel pressure at the port on the fuel rail to see what it was?
My Dodge is doing the exact same thing. Goes about 2 mile an hour. What did you find out?

Old 04-07-2021, 01:02 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts
Old 04-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Later2u
Amateur

If the rat nest of ignition wires haven't been changed out, put set of these in. Won't hurt and will look 100% better.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-82241

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram 1500 Fuel Filter Change