3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Ram 4.7 running rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 PM
Thingee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Ram 4.7 running rich

Okay guys first off I’m new to the forum, so here’s my story..

My issue started with a typical rich code. I figured it was the MAP sensor so I went ahead and replaced that as well as the TPS. It ran perfect for about 20 minutes after that install. While it was idling it started pouring white smoke that smelled like gas. Immediately turned off the truck and started checking spark plugs to see which ones were soaked in gas. Cylinders 4 and 6 were soaked. I swapped out those 2 injectors and the smoke cleared up and I have no more codes. BUT now it idles real rough and backfires/misses up to 1500rpm. Anything above 1500 and it sounds perfect. Again, I have NO codes being thrown and all monitors are completed. I checked fuel trims and they are in the deep negatives so it must still be running rich. Please help.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:01 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Your problem could be rich mixture, it also could be head gasket.
A simple check for head gasket; remove the radiator cap when engine is cool. Start engine with cap off and let engine get to temperature. If you see bubbles in the coolant then exhaust gases are entering your cooling system. Coolant leaking into the cylinder will cause white smoke.
Rich condition would be dark smoke.
If you are convinced that head gasket is good, then I recommend replacing your O2 sensors if you haven't done so recently. The O2 sensors provide inputs to the PCM on fuel mixture.
If you would rather troubleshoot before replacing the sensors, you would need a live data scanner. Let us know if you want to go this route and need any assistance.
I would first install the bank 2 upstream and downstream sensors and see if you get improvement.
It's a good idea to replace O2 sensors as part of regular maintenance. From my own experience, I replaced O2 sensors at 170k miles and noticed improved gas mileage and smoother idle.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:47 AM
Thingee

I’ve ran it with the coolant cap off, it’s not the head gasket thank god. I just put in the new up and down stream o2 sensors about a week ago to try curing the rich condition. The injectors stuck open a few days ago. I have an actron scanner that can show live data.

P.S. the white smoke was a 100% from the injectors, it smelled like gas and went away immediately after swapping those out.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:09 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Outside of the O2 sensors, try to make sure you're using Mopar sensors. These Dodges are pretty sensitive about that. Running with rad cap off is cool, but you may want to use a block tester on it, which sniffs the coolant for exhaust gases. Back when my HG leaked, running with the cap off didn't reveal anything. These can be rented for free (once returned). The blue solution is about 7 bucks. I would also pull the battery cables overnight (or short them out and turn key to start pos) for a full reset, since you replaced sensors.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-15-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:12 PM
Thingee

Yep, ive used all mopar sensors. Its not the head gasket causing this issue. I can say this though, the injectors I swapped in place of the two are used and they did show signs of rust around the top and the o-rings were kind of solid. But wouldnt that cause it to run lean? not excessively rich? I did a compression test on that half of the motor earlier. All is good there. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. Could the oil be the cause? it did have quite a bit of gas dumped into those 2 cylinders when this happened.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you suspect the injectors, swap 'em around (again...) and see if anything changes.

If you have a noid light, might verify that the PCM is pulsing the injectors, and they aren't simply staying on. (short in the wiring, or some such.)

Old 04-15-2021, 12:51 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

yep, noid light would be next test if you are sure that the head gasket and O2 sensors are good. Auto part stores will loan this tool.

Quick Reply: 2002 Ram 4.7 running rich