3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Front Control Module (FCM)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:23 AM
mike241900
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warlock_III
I'm having a similar problem on the 02 I just bought. I pulled the PDC and took the top off and that gave me access to the bottom of the circuit board. How did you get to the top?

I have a feeling I'm gonna have to trace my grounds but if you could give me a pointer on getting to the top of the circuit board I'd appreciate it. All of my electronics are "AE" code and apparently don't exist.
I followed this write up to get to my printed circuit board - Parts 1 & 2:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/f...rt-1-a-222371/

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/f...rt-2-a-222373/

It's fairly easy once you get into it.

Originally Posted by abarmby
Just "looking" at the PDC printed circuit board tracks does not tell you 100% that there is continuity.
You really need to work through the circuit diagrams and check out those circuit board tracks using a good multi meter and check for open circuits or even high resistance as that can be just as bad as an open circuit.
I changed out my PDC for a new one well over 6 or 8 years ago due to the famous park light/side light issues.
Never had a problem since.
Al.
I need to put a meter to it. Would I need a meter that could load the particular track I am looking at? The meter I have does not have a loading function.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM
mike241900

So, since I bought an FCM i didn't really need to buy, I decided to experiment a little with the truck: I put the old(original) FCM back on the truck, drove it around until it popped up with the ABS + Park Brake Lights and lights not working.
(While I did this, I realized EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT that the FCM controlled was not working when the thing went out - fog lights, wiper blades, etc.)
Then, with the truck still running, I popped the hood and took the FCM off the PDC very slowly. I then reattached the FCM back into the PDC slowly, still no output from lights. I began to wiggle the unit back and forth to try and get a better connection and after a few seconds I got power to the lights.

Now I read in another forum that someone had put Di-Electric grease on the PDC where the female connectors for the FCM are located. I did this and so far the FCM has worked without issue, but I feel like I might have a problem further upstream.
From the battery to the connection at the Fuse box, I have no corrosion. I'm not sure how the power travels from the entry on the Fuse Box to the FCM, but I think that is where my issue lies. I'm not sure what else could cause all of the functions of the FCM to cease immediately.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Warlock_III
Amateur

Originally Posted by mike241900
I followed this write up to get to my printed circuit board - Parts 1 & 2:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/f...rt-1-a-222371/

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/f...rt-2-a-222373/

It's fairly easy once you get into it.

I need to put a meter to it. Would I need a meter that could load the particular track I am looking at? The meter I have does not have a loading function.
Thanks Mike. It's the second half of the second set of instructions I was looking for. The photos won't open so I will try it with a BFH, well maybe not. But I have something to refer to. Once again, thanks.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 PM
bjgiulia

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and have been reading all your posts. The problems I have are not the same as most of you. The truck is an '05 2500 5.7 with 122K on it and my main issue is the condenser fan running either intermittently or continuously without the A/C on. The other issue is the wipers delay function works, doesn't work and when it works it will wipe 3x then delay, 3x delay, etc. Sometimes the wipers when shut off will stop in the middle of the windshield, then I have to turn them back on then off to park them. Last year, after reading about the issues I removed my PDC disassembled it and it was fine, just dusty with the only corrosion being on the main + lug which I wire brushed clean. The FCM controls the functions of the cond. fan and wipers as well as the lights. To date I've never had a light issue. The majority of the problems I've had over the last few years have been due to corrosion. All my coil packs were severely rusted (although still worked), oil pan, crossover pipe, universals, tie rod ends, ball joints, not the least rear fenderwells. My buddy has an '05 1500 and has been in the repair shop over a month, he finally had it towed to the dealer where he bought it new. One day it ran fine, next morning it wouldn't start. The "auto shut down circuit" failed and so far no one has found the problem.
Bart

Old 01-11-2017, 06:10 PM
stuffed1004

OK..... Every one is going towards the PDM...... My 04 ram 1500 4.7 Quad cab, is having some issues . It all started when the trailer lights acted up only had running no stop/turn, ok looked into problem issue seemed to be PDM by most opinions. Then my right head light would not illuminate only high beam works. Checking everything out my ideas point to the FCM, still unsure I ran a wire from left to right to power my light to avoid unwanted attention. And now I am having other issues, when I apply the brakes the front marker lamp come on and every so often the shift lock will not release.. At this point I just want to go replace both but its costly, so. I'm thinking to start with the FCM. Will the new one have to be programmed?????????????? Cant find a straight answer..... Ill even go to the junk yard for a sample FCM but that one may not work either dont want to wast a bunch of time or money. Ideas?

Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM
PX
Professional

I bought a FCM thru car-part and picked it up at the local salvage yard. I even got a PCM attached to it, bt it was for a 5.7L and my truck has the 4.7L. I paid $50 for both parts and ended up selling the PCM on Ebay for $100! (BTW, I'm not sure if I am using the correct terms FCM & PCM. I'm referring to the portion with the fuses in it as the FCM and the metal attachment between the "FCM" and the fender as the PCM)

My problem started out as having my parking lights staying on even though the truck was off.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:16 PM
bjgiulia
Default Not always the PDC

So far the two PDCs I have taken apart have not had obvious issues. The lights are controlled by the FCM (front control module). The condenser fan and wipers are supposedly controlledby it also. As it turned out, my problem was actually two different ones. The irratic condenser fan was a bad pressure transducer and the wipers are the wiper motor itself. Any time the lights are an issue I would go for the FCM. The PSC (power distribution center) is really just a multi level distribution buss, and is a "dumb" component and can be fixed without special tools.
​​​​​​​Bart
[
QUOTE=stuffed1004;3324778]OK..... Every one is going towards the PDM...... My 04 ram 1500 4.7 Quad cab, is having some issues . It all started when the trailer lights acted up only had running no stop/turn, ok looked into problem issue seemed to be PDM by most opinions. Then my right head light would not illuminate only high beam works. Checking everything out my ideas point to the FCM, still unsure I ran a wire from left to right to power my light to avoid unwanted attention. And now I am having other issues, when I apply the brakes the front marker lamp come on and every so often the shift lock will not release.. At this point I just want to go replace both but its costly, so. I'm thinking to start with the FCM. Will the new one have to be programmed?????????????? Cant find a straight answer..... Ill even go to the junk yard for a sample FCM but that one may not work either dont want to wast a bunch of time or money. Ideas?[/QUOTE]

Old 01-31-2017, 05:12 PM
Dancip72
Default FCM IPM replaced still doesn't work.

Originally Posted by bjgiulia
So far the two PDCs I have taken apart have not had obvious issues. The lights are controlled by the FCM (front control module). The condenser fan and wipers are supposedly controlledby it also. As it turned out, my problem was actually two different ones. The irratic condenser fan was a bad pressure transducer and the wipers are the wiper motor itself. Any time the lights are an issue I would go for the FCM. The PSC (power distribution center) is really just a multi level distribution buss, and is a "dumb" component and can be fixed without special tools.
Bart
[
QUOTE=stuffed1004;3324778]OK..... Every one is going towards the PDM...... My 04 ram 1500 4.7 Quad cab, is having some issues . It all started when the trailer lights acted up only had running no stop/turn, ok looked into problem issue seemed to be PDM by most opinions. Then my right head light would not illuminate only high beam works. Checking everything out my ideas point to the FCM, still unsure I ran a wire from left to right to power my light to avoid unwanted attention. And now I am having other issues, when I apply the brakes the front marker lamp come on and every so often the shift lock will not release.. At this point I just want to go replace both but its costly, so. I'm thinking to start with the FCM. Will the new one have to be programmed?????????????? Cant find a straight answer..... Ill even go to the junk yard for a sample FCM but that one may not work either dont want to wast a bunch of time or money. Ideas?
[/QUO

I'm having some of the same issues, front turn signals (both sides) don't work neither do my back up lights. I have replaced both FCM and IPM and they still don't work. Any ideas as I'm kinda stumped. Yes I have also replaced the multifunctional switch .

Old 02-05-2017, 05:53 PM
castironman
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default old tread just some pics

I recently attempted a repair on one of this units from a 2004 dodge ram 1500, the lamp relay was not working, missing ground, I open up the fuse box, not too hard, scraped the holding plastic tabs and used a trace repair wire and some insulated wire to replace the places that were corroded then used dielectric grease to cover the repairs and insulate the board. water gets there easily since it is mounted over the left fender and where the connectors get into is only open space... it works now.

Attached Thumbnails Front Control Module (FCM)-20170203_211206.jpg   Front Control Module (FCM)-20170203_211244.jpg   Front Control Module (FCM)-20170203_213922.jpg   Front Control Module (FCM)-20170204_092258.jpg   Front Control Module (FCM)-20170203_211215.jpg  

Front Control Module (FCM)-20170204_071229.jpg   Front Control Module (FCM)-20170204_071124.jpg   Front Control Module (FCM)-20170204_071208.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BBICLBIC (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 10:31 PM
BBICLBIC
Rookie

Hello after reading your post .How did you get the top off the power dist box ? Did you have to remove the front module frist ? thanks

Quick Reply: Front Control Module (FCM)