3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High pitched whine at high rpms

Old 09-02-2009, 12:06 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the belt off and rotate each pulley by hand. all pulleys should rotate smoothly, no clicking or inconsistencies as they go around. if any of them clicks or 'stutters' as your rotate it, you might have found your problem.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 AM
IIxWarFarExII
Exclamation High RPM Whine

my truck whines also but i thought that was normal for the 4.7 magnum engine? Ill take a look at my bearing like it suggests in here n see if thats whats wrong with it... but for the 6 months ive had my truck it has always whined... i just thought but im guessing not?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM
sofakingsuite18

Mine is an 05 hemi. I got under the hood last night, pulled the belt and played around with the pulleys. The power steering pulley seemed to have quite a bit of play, I could wiggle it maybe a quarter inch back and forth, plus I noticed that the pump and most of the components in that area were saturated and way more rusted than anything else underneath, although my power steering fluid is still full. I think I may have found my problem. The whine mine it's making is very loud but it doesn't whine when it's idling, only when I rev the engine.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM
IIxWarFarExII

Same with mine but it only whines when i floor my pedal and haul *** then it only whines at high RPM's it doesnt whine when im parked and rev it.. ill check my pulleys n maybe my bearing n see what it is.. n see if i hear clicking n what not. thanks for the help man

Old 01-29-2020, 08:48 PM
Denver K.
Default Would most definitely not be an exhaust leak...

An exhaust leak would make an intermediate hissing sound. The whine is possibly the air rushing into the engine??? I don’t know, but I think it has something to do with the alternator or power steering. My car has a 5.7l and it only makes the noise when flooring it/above 4000 rpm.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Denver K.
An exhaust leak would make an intermediate hissing sound. The whine is possibly the air rushing into the engine??? I don’t know, but I think it has something to do with the alternator or power steering. My car has a 5.7l and it only makes the noise when flooring it/above 4000 rpm.
11 year old forum...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High pitched whine at high rpms