3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rack and pinion installation

Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 AM
avenger8692
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion installation

does and one know how hard it is to change out the rack and pinion. if so please give me an idea

Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No idea as I have not ever had to do one but I can pull everything up in AllData if you want and get an idea. I would need the year and engine size. And it would be good to add all of that info in your profile also so ppl dont have to keep asking you for it.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Regardless of who does it(you or a garage) an alignment is needed afterwards because the rack is bolted to the Tie-rod ends that control the steering. The Toe angles are going to be comprimised once you change the rack or remove the tie-rod ends. There is no way around it. Gonna cost you $70+/-.

The hardest part is draining the reservoir and un bolting the lines that are crammed together and hard to access. Other than that, there is the steering shaft bolt(mark the steering shaft on both sides before removal. The rack is held on by 2 bolts.(not sure how hard those are to remove or what would be in the way for them to be pulled all the way out as they are long.
For the new one, you need to find the center of the steering. Measuring each side is the easiest before you bolt it up in there. Then you align the shaft on the rack to the stering shaft(keep the steering shaft as it was and moved the rack gear to align to the steeering shaft so your steering wheel remains straight.

For the tie-rods. i would just buy and install new outer ones. The rack should have new inner ones already????Hopefully.

As for bolting the teirods correctly, best you can do is measure a specific spot off the case to the center of the balljoint case on the outer tie-rod. then this will allow you to measure off the same point on the new case for the new tie-rod. Then you will be able to drive to an alignment shop without much hassle. If the toe is way off, you will bind pretty bad around turns. Not good for the rack.

There is a bleen screw on the bottom I belive but it will take a while for all the fluid to drain out. (like overnight) just incase you thought it was the best way...lol Messy is the quickest way!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
avenger8692

alright sounds like it is going to be a pain in *** so im probably just going to take it to a mechanic let them do it. but thanks for the info ill know now what to do incase i change my mind to do it myself again. thanks again

Old 09-03-2009, 11:12 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dirtydog makes it sound harder than it is. if you have some basic tools, a jack, and some jackstands you can easily do it yourself. the hardest part for me was getting the tie rod ends out (theyre pressed in) make sure you put new ones on while youre at it. the big *** bolts come out of the rack pretty easily. the lines arent that hard to get at if you have the truck jacked up a little. and as far as getting things lined up, just make sure the steering wheel is straight when you pull things apart, and count the number of threads sticking out on the tie rod ends. then when you put it back together just count up the threads and you will be pretty close. i did mine in the driveway (parents werent too happy about the mess). just pull the lines and let it drain.
take it from someone who has actually done it... piece of cake.
shop quoted me at almost $500, i did it for about $200
**make sure you use atf+4 for the fluid
got anymore questions let me know

Old 09-03-2009, 11:20 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Not everyone is mechanically inclined to think the rack is an "easy" task. and your "piece of cake" task takes the average guy about 3-4hours in the driveway with proper tools.
Also, how did i make things sound complicated? I was just being precise on the tie-rod measurements because counting threads when you change racks or tie-rods is not the way to go about things as each manufacturer is diff.

He should have new tie-rods installed with the new rack. Or else, he may have to get them replaced and then get anotyher alignment shortly down the road.

Last edited by dirtydog; 09-03-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^i thought you might get a little wound up about my post (you can be a testy bugger)
but it really isnt that hard. before i did mine everyone was telling me it was a PITA (some on here) but i didnt want to dish out the $$ so I figured what the hell, i'll give it a try. It did take me 4+ hours to do, but I was taking my time.
and my rack (long rack) came with everything but the tie rod ends, so i got new ones which is recommended especially if you remove them with a sledge hammer like i did

i guess you didnt make it sound that hard, but the poor guy seemed overwhelmed... wait till he reads all this crap! haha

Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to me like it wouldn't be too awful. The alignment would be a must.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the not being hard part... I blew the seal right out of mine in the middle of january (almost effed up the pump as well) and replaced the whole rack outside, -30 C*, basic tools...took about 4 hrs.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 AM
avenger8692

alright thanks guys ill give it a try its not going to hurt me but i appreciate yalls help. thanks again
Brad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rack and pinion installation