3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

HID install

Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
tharpalarp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID install

I know this subject has been talked about many times im sure but i cant seem to find an exact answer for my problem. im new to installing stuff on my truck. its a 2006 quad cab and i bought this hid kit off ebay for 50 bucks. When i had everything hooked up as per the instructions, i turned over the key and the lights flickered then cut off. i heard that i need to install relays or resistors or buy a new harness that will eliminate the flicker. idk what to do?? so anyone that can help out would be awesome. i have an accesory wire running from my fuse box from the ignition fuse so when i turn the key over the lights automatically come on. the flicker is gone but i can not turn the lights on or off or anything they are always on. so solutions to this problem would be awesome. thank u

Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread is only a few threads down from yours. You gotta learn to search at least a LITTLE bit.

AND you have your lights wired wrong.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ease-help.html

Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 PM
tharpalarp

im new to this so give me a break. lol. i appreciate the link but after looking for 30 minutes i still cant seem to find an exact solution. A lot of the forums people are having problems with their lights flickering, but when i turn my truck on the flick about 4 times then cut off and wont turn back on. do you have any other forums that i could take a look at. and the acessory wire is just temporary. i know its not supposed to be wired like that but it was the only way to keep my lights on so i could drive last night.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Everyone has to start somewhere. So how many wires come off of your ballast and what color are they? Did you use a relay anywhere?

Many ppl have issues with flickering or strobing and need to use relays to handle the current and resistors to trick the trucks computer into thinking there is a filament type bulb. That type of bulb has the filament gave provides resistance which the truck is looking for. The resistors are used to corrent or resolve the "Lamp Out" light on the dash.

An excert of that thread is this......"All i did is put a pair of 20 watt 8 ohm resistors between the Ground wire of the HID harness and each +12v wire (low & high beam). I then mounted these resistors on the cross bar on the truck to give them ventilation. you will need a total of 4 of these resistors, 2 for each side to get rid of the lampout warning."

I assume your lights flicker, go out and dont come back because you do not have them wired with a relay and you are pulling too much current.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

Dont these trucks need a capacitor inbetween the factory harness and the HID ballast, thats the way mine are and they dont flicker. I bought the kit from HIDextra

Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yes, thats what the link in post #2 directs you to. But they (and my kit) use resistors. I dont know of anyone using actual caps to make them work

Old 09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

ahh okay cool, i kinda figured all the kits were different

Old 09-05-2009, 04:29 AM
CNFD
Rookie

just pony up $200 and get HIDs from twiggy. its well worth it not having to deal with all the headaches cheap kits cause.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Not neccessarily. All kits are the same believe it or not. They are all made overseas. The ONLY diff betweent the ebay and other cheap kits v/s Tim and Chads more expensive kits is that theirs come with the relay to hold the current and the resistors to trick the trucks computer. Thats all the phsyical difference is. Now Chad gives lifetime warranty on everything which is cool. But I can buy new HID all day for $20 shipped and ballast for a little more so to me it is better IMO to buy a replacement and have it rather than send your broken or damaged part back to Chad or Tim and wait for them to send it back to you. I assume Tim does lifetime but IDK for sure. The only other advantage is they are in the US and not overseas but most of the time the issue can be resolved right here. Would I buy another $200 kit? No. Nothing against and vendor but as a(n) (educated) consumer I was foolish to spend the 300+ I did on lights and fogs.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 AM
thinkclear9

i have a quick question i just bot a hid kit and a relay harness and to resisters for my 03 dodge ram but they sent me 8ohm 50w resisters not the 6 ohm 50w one i ordered they told me they would work ? any one know if its true ? any help would be grate thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID install