3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 throwing rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
I have been running the FRAM HP-1 for over 120,000 Wide Open Throttle miles... I have never had an issue... Some people get caught up in the hype, if FRAM was really such a crappy filter, then they would have gone out of business long ago.

This last oil change I went with a cleanable / re-useable PURE POWER filter. Hands down the best oil filter money can buy.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
120,000 lucky miles...lmao j/k. Your using the HP-1 which is a diff filter altogether than their standard line-up. Standard line-up=junk. HP line-up=comparable to other brands standard line-up. Just because they move lots of fluid doesn't make them a great filter. Also, they use cheap parts.

here's some specs just for giggles when compared to K&N which is an average filter as far as Micronic control.

The K&N is made of a thicker can .020" to be exact and has 362"square inches of filter media compared to the Fram HP-1 which is made of a .015" can and only has 193" of filter media. So not only does it have alot less filter media, it's filtering isn't that great to begin with. They have less media so they flow more. That's great for drag racing, but not really great for road driving where there's constant exposure to dirt/debris in the air.

Last edited by dirtydog; 09-17-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 AM
1LowRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a good comparison. Im using OEM Mopar.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...dissected.html

Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1LowRam
Heres a good comparison. Im using OEM Mopar.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...dissected.html

Good link, however. Gotta be careful about linking to other forums. Mods don't like that sorta thing.

Anyways, i think we may be getting a bit off topic unless the filter is really this guys problem????

Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the engine throwing the rocker arms only on start up? or does it do it with the engine warm? If it is doing it on cold start only, I think the oil pump is losing its prime, like I said earlier, it could be the filter.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Terry Joe
Default 4.7 throwing rocker arms.

I am using A/C Delco oil filter that has a check valve, 10w30 Mobil conventional oil. It seems like I have an oil supply problem to the valvetrain. I just pulled the heads again, had a machine shop rework
the heads along with the valve guides, seemed ok for a 2 days, and boom, started rattling again on start up. What happens is the entire valve train rattles what is way beyond normal, and at times, a rocker arm flys off. This engine is clean, strong oil pressure, oil pan and pick up screen is clean. I'm ready to junk the engine, but I have too much money invested now. The cam lobes are ok also. This is the dumbest designed valvetrain ever.

Anybody have any other ideas?
Terry

Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
shawnsack
Rookie

pull the heads and have the valve guides drilled out 2 thousandths... when shutting the motor off the valve that is down is sticking when its cold and when u start it up the valve is coming up as fast as the cam is turning and the rocker is coming off... take care of it before it takes out a cam

Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

I have a 4.7 too with over a 100k miles and here a slight pinging only when in Drive and when the truck is cold. Only really occurs the 1st couple mins of driving and once the motor starts to warm it goes away. Am I looking at the same problem?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
shawnsack
Rookie

probly carbon buildup... u might try running a higher octane gas and some kind of a carbon cleaner... and make sure u change ur oil every 3000 miles religiously as these engines are very picky and are prone to buildup

Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Try running 5w30 motor oil. the thinner oil will get to the top faster on start-up. Try some Techron fuel system cleaner. It's by Chevron and works really well.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
shawnsack
Rookie

yeah i missed the 10w30 post... u definately need to run either 5w30 or even 5w20

Quick Reply: 4.7 throwing rocker arms