3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Door Lock Problem

Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 AM
BoostAK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door Lock Problem

I just got my Ram on Friday and fixing a couple small problems. One is the power door locks, I found the fuse was blown and there was a smaller amp fuse then what was supposed to be so I replaced the fuse with the right amp fuse and the door locks worked for maybe 5 mintues and the fuse blew. So I'm guessing I have a short or something somewhere. I put in another fuse that is 5 amps more than what is supposed to be there and the fuse hasn't blown yet, however only the drivers side door locks and unlocks. The other doors don't lock or unlock, but I can manually lock and unlock them all freely. Also the passenger door was unlocking and locking with the correct amp fuse for the 5 minutes, I didn't notice if the back ones locked or unlocked at that time. Any ideas before I start tracing wires etc...?? Thanks in advance and sorry if its too long or confusing.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 AM
tuned93
Record Breaker

sounds like a electrical gobblin... good luck!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Probably gonna hafta trace the wires. You may have burnt off a the wire to the rest of the locks when you installed the larger fuse, wich is why they workes at first but not now. Gotta love electrical, it always ends up being something so off the wall, you'ld never guess it the first time.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 AM
BoostAK

Yeah that's what I figured I'd have to do. Thanks for the response. I also noticed yesterday when I hit the switch the passenger door lock tries to move and almost looks like it's caught up but when I manually lock and unlock it moves easily like the drivers door. Don't know if that makes a difference in diagnosing it.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
BoostAK

Have a little update. Noticed the rubber grommet on the rear drivers side door was hanging off so upon further inspection this is what I found:

So for some reason the previous owner decided to cut those wires, not exactly sure why. Now looks like I'm gonna solder them back together and electrical tape them up. Now with those wires being cut (I assume they are for the power door locks) will that make the passenger front and rear locks not work as well? I guess I'll have to solder them up and find out.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 PM
BoostAK

Fixed the drivers side rear and works great. Found out the other side is the same damn way. I wonder why in the hell somebody would do that? Anyways thanks for the help, I'll repeat what I did on the other side and it'll be good to go!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

That happens all the time I dont think any one cut the wires but we find just what you have found good pic. They break that way from the door open and closing

Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 PM
BoostAK

Yeah that makes sense. Just at first look I thought they were cut cus only 4 of the 8 wires were perfectly fine. I noticed those wires were a bit thicker so that makes sense. Got the passenger door harness soldered up (wasn't as bad as the other side) and everything works great now all doors lock. Just thought I'd post up in case anybody else had this problem. Thanks again for the responses

Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
hardie08
Default Great pics

Originally Posted by BoostAK
Yeah that makes sense. Just at first look I thought they were cut cus only 4 of the 8 wires were perfectly fine. I noticed those wires were a bit thicker so that makes sense. Got the passenger door harness soldered up (wasn't as bad as the other side) and everything works great now all doors lock. Just thought I'd post up in case anybody else had this problem. Thanks again for the responses
I was having the same issues, your pics helped! I had a look there myself, same issue... going to fix it up now!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Very common issue! I pre-empted any possible problems by using a piece of flexible wire loom over mine where the door could pinch it. When I notice the loom is broken, I simply replace it for the dime's worth of loom it takes...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Door Lock Problem