3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seafoam and Mobil 1, do they mix??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:40 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam and Mobil 1, do they mix??

Its time for another oil change and I have been using Mobil 1 for the last 3 oil changes and had some of the blackest/dirtiest oil I've ever seen. My mechanic (for the BIG stuff) says it's the sludge that had been building up from before I switched to Mobil 1. I've heard positive results with adding Seafoam when doing an oil change helps, plus adding it to the gas tank every once in a while.
Has anyone done a Seafoam/Mobil 1 oil change?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I posted a lab test on this a while ago, and I'm too tired to do a search, but it basically said that those types of products work better with conventional oil, something about the molecules of synthetic being smaller and tighter and keeping those cleaning type products away from the metal parts of the engine.

Do a seafoam treatment with conventional oil and change it much sooner than normal and put your Mobil 1 back in there...

Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

whatever you are planning on doing. You only run Seafoam for maybe 10 minutes and then change the oil out. You don't just pour Seafoam into your crankcase and call it a day. You must drain it out very very soon. It's different than the gas tank. You could pour in and run Marvel Mystery oil for an entire oil change...

Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Yeah, I agree with both previous post. Like Hammer said do a change with Dino oil and Seafoam. Get some cheap oil and add the seafoam to it and run the engine for about 10 or 15 mins and change it out and put in your Mobil1. Make sure you change the filter also incase it gets gunked up from what the seafoam cleans out.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:23 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

Thanks guys I'll give it a try. I noticed on on Speed TV they were pushing alot of Seafoam sponsored shows, but they didn't seem to have any Seafoam comercials, weird.

Again thanks.

Quick Reply: Seafoam and Mobil 1, do they mix??