Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed AT Trans filter, now won't move. Anyone??

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD Hemi
Question Changed AT Trans filter, now won't move. Anyone??

Hello,
New to the forum, and am I glad I found you guys.

I have an 05 Ram 1500, 4wd, with the hemi. Just changed the automatic transmission filter this evening, as well as the cooler line return filter, (looks like small oil filter). Filled with new fluid. Now, truck won't move at all. I put 6 qts in, although I read another thread here that says 6.6qts. (I will add the extra tomorrow morning). Is there something I missed? Or, mabey was I supposed to fill the little cooler line filter with fluid first? Or?
I would truly appreciate any help with this.

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2008 qc HEMI 4wheel drive

this happen to me i ended up with a new transmission
Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 04 Ram 2500 5.7l Hemi QCSB
Send a message via AIM to OlDirtyJohn

lets get a little more info from you so we may better understand your situation. can you walk us through everything you did step by step? this way we might catch something you did wrong and help you better.

2004 Ram 2500 5.7l Hemi: AirRaid MIT, K&N Drop in, SC 91, AT3030/custom Y, Edge 2600 TC, Sharadon Stage II Trans/VB, 4.56s
Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Sounds like you did not install the flat pan filter seal properly?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram QC
TrickedOut DodgeRam Weedahoe1977
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

I was going to ask if you replaced BOTH filters and the o-ring on the flat filter?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Record Breaker
2003 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram qc

when you installed the flat filter, did you push the side with the tube in until it couldnt go up anymore? as in ALL the way in?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Champion
2006 Chrysler 300
My Garage

Vehicle: 2003 1500 QCSB Hemi 4x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Sounds like you did not install the flat pan filter seal properly?
That's what I'm thinkin'. Mine took seven quarts, but that difference shouldn't be the problem. Did you remove the old seal before installing the new one? Did you get the correct flat filter? There are two -- 2WD and 4WD.

2006 Chrysler 300C
2008 1/2 Mazda Speed3
Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD Hemi

Thanks for the replies. I did replace both filters. I believe it is the correct flat filter. I did push the tube side up until it could go no further, then attached the holding nut. Was I supposed to fill the smaller round (oil filter looking) filter with fluid prior to installation?

Now, I did not install a separate o ring. It (the tube side of flat filter) had a rubber ring with what seemed like a tapered washer on it. Was I supposed to reposition the rubber ring closer to the flat part of the filter?

Also, I did start the truck, then with foot on the brake, go thru the gears, but still nothing. Still wondering if I needed to 'prime' or fill the smaller oil filter looking filter.??

Last edited by golfcartguy; 10-07-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: forgot to add......
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram QC
TrickedOut DodgeRam Weedahoe1977
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

You dont have to but did you pull out and replace the o-ring that goes up in the trans for the flat filter? I really dont see that being the cause but you never know.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
All Star
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Send a message via AIM to motorhead426 Send a message via Yahoo to motorhead426

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcartguy View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did replace both filters. I believe it is the correct flat filter. I did push the tube side up until it could go no further, then attached the holding nut. Was I supposed to fill the smaller round (oil filter looking) filter with fluid prior to installation?

Now, I did not install a separate o ring. It (the tube side of flat filter) had a rubber ring with what seemed like a tapered washer on it. Was I supposed to reposition the rubber ring closer to the flat part of the filter?

Also, I did start the truck, then with foot on the brake, go thru the gears, but still nothing. Still wondering if I needed to 'prime' or fill the smaller oil filter looking filter.??
I would recommend priming that round filter just like you should prime you engine oil filter. I've got almost 80k om my transmission and have never replaced that pressed in bushing (that comes with the flat filter). A few weeks ago I had my torque converter replaced and I talked to the tech. He said that most people usually have more problems afterwards when replacing that bushing, so he just leaves it alone. I'd recommend not running your truck anymore until you have removed the pan and inspected inside first. Double check the flat filter mounting, and also remove the round filter. Make sure that there is fluid in it and that the gasket/O-ring around it sealed properly.

Your using Mopar ATF+4 correct?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 AM