3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Wheel Off Center After Alignment... TWICE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:41 PM
COHemiRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Off Center After Alignment... TWICE!

So I got some new tires on my truck and decided to have it aligned for good measure. I took it to one of those chain places and when i got it back my steering wheel was off a couple of degrees to the left. Enough to bother the heck out of me. I took it back and they checked it out, gave it back and it was about 1/2 way between where it was and where it should be IMO.
I had enough and took it to a local place that has a great reputation and has been doing frame and axle work since 1938. When they were done I asked if it was out of spec and they said it was toed in a bit. Well good, they fixed it... well now my steering wheel is cocked over to the right about as much as it was to the left on the previous alignment. What the heck!?
Is there something wrong with my truck? Is this normal? Should I take it back AGAIN?
For reference, the line on the center of the airbag/horn cover points up to the right side of the hazard switch. After the first alignment is was pointing to the left side of the hazard switch.
I realize that side slope of the road will make you steer into it and what not but when I center my wheel up it turns. Needless to say I pretty frustrated but am I getting all worked up over nothing?

Thanks All!

Eric

Last edited by COHemiRam; 10-23-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, the rack and pinion is not centered if the wheel isn't straight. It can be corrected by adjusting the outer tie rod ends with the wheel locked in the center position.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Steering wheel should be damn close to center. i would take it back. It just shows "laziness" on the mecahnics part. No reason you should have to deal with it. You PAY for an alignment, your steering wheel is part of that.
I had to get my Explorer aligned and it went in pretty crooked. it came ut straight as an arrow. I thanked the guy and complimented him on a job well done because i was impressed that I didn't have to cry about it to get it done right. i got a call about an hour later telling me that i'll have a free tire rotation the next time I come in. Kinda non related but I was like great!

Old 10-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Tazman40
Professional

I can relate.I had new tie rod ends put on by a dodge dealer and when i got it back the steering wheel is off to the right just a tad.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:57 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

That wouldn't be acceptable to me. Comes from the factory perfectly straight. No reason it shouldn't be that way after an alignment

Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM
COHemiRam

I took my truck back to them this morning and informed them of the issue. The same guy that aligned it on Friday took it in this morning. He had it done in about 10 minutes. I guess he was just ready for the weekend on Friday.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Eric

Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

took 3 tries to get it right on my truck, all while i was sitting in the waiting room. but they did have it right when i got the truck back. they said it was harder for them to do it because of the 20s, don't see how that would matter.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Shouldn't, they are adjusting the tierod ends not the wheels.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Just another excuse like they always have....bout the 20's that is.

If anything it should make it easier to get bigger wheels straight.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Now My alignment guy had a little trouble the last time he did the Stang because the 265/50R15's on my old 7" wheels rolled over the lip and made it difficult to clamp the sensors on the rear wheels No problem now, I have 4" in the front and 8" in the rear.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Off Center After Alignment... TWICE!