3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 PM
fender66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Hey fans,

Let me describe the issue, let's see what kind of help I can get...please.

2002 Dodge 4dr 1500, 4.7 ltr, 2wd, no remote start.

A week ago, while driving, my dash guages started going haywire. Bouncing around, not working at all, etc....then they would be fine. I would get the warning "ding" before it happened each time. The msg on the dash said NO BUS.

Just this weekend, they stopped working completely, and about a second after starting the engine, I get the "ding", and NO BUS msg again. I've discovered that I have no wipers, my head and tail lights are on (can't turn them off unless engine is off), no brake lights, all dash lights on, etc. My radio does still work.

I took it to Auto Zone to get a code readout and was told the error was a TCM issue (Transmission Control Module). Code P1698

I've already spent a couple hours checking all my harness connections and even disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. Still no change.

I've learned that the TCM will cost me about $360, but I've also been told that it needs to be programmed by a dealership??? Before I make the mistake of taking it to a dealer when not necessary, I thought I'd check with the "real experts" for similar stories/fixes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Fender66/Chris

Last edited by fender66; 11-03-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: more details

Quick Reply: Transmission Control Module (TCM)