3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TCM HELP....please. CODE P1698

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
fender66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCM HELP....please. CODE P1698

Hey gang,

Let me describe the issue, let's see what kind of help I can get...please.

2002 Dodge 4dr 1500, 4.7 ltr, 2wd, no remote start.

A week ago, while driving, my dash guages started going haywire. Bouncing around, not working at all, etc....then they would be fine. I would get the warning "ding" before it happened each time. The msg on the dash said NO BUS.

Just this weekend, they stopped working completely, and about a second after starting the engine, I get the "ding", and NO BUS msg again. I've discovered that I have no wipers, my head and tail lights are on (can't turn them off unless engine is off), no brake lights, all dash lights on, etc. My radio does still work.

I took it to Auto Zone to get a code readout and was told the error was a TCM issue (Transmission Control Module). Code P1698

I've already spent a couple hours checking all my harness connections and even disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. Still no change.

I've learned that the TCM will cost me about $360, but I've also been told that it needs to be programmed by a dealership??? Before I make the mistake of taking it to a dealer when not necessary, I thought I'd check with the "real experts" for similar stories/fixes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Fender66/Chris

Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuses? The TCM is a weird lookin square fuse. Mine went out and it did similar stuff... amazing how tranny control makes the rest of the truck go crazy.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:19 PM
fender66

I'm actually running and shifting fine....just screwed up electronics. Head lights, tail lights on with no switch control, no wipers, blinkers, etc.

I just got my hands on a service manual.....I'm still hoping to resolve this myself, but any advice is needed and appreciated.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 PM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your power distribution box might be the problem here. No switch control since the relays aren't operating. Probably the box.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 PM
fender66

Thanks, I'll give that a look.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
fender66

I also discovered last night that I have the same symptoms when I don't start the engine, and only turn the key on. Not sure if this changes anything...it kind of confused me.

Quick Reply: TCM HELP....please. CODE P1698